Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warm and natural. >

Warm and natural.

Warm and natural.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 PM

I have only used W&N and In love it.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 PM

I would suggest instead of using two layers of batting, try using flannel for the backing.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:30 PM

i agree with everyone else Warm and Natural is the only one i use and the quilts are warm
Old 12-31-2012, 08:36 PM

I've always used warm and natural. For me it was easier to quilt with. And I found great buys on it at Joanns. It is really warm batting. But, when my supply of warm and natural is gone, I'm going to switch to Hobbs 80/20. I like the crinkle look it gets when you wash and dry it. It's also nice and warm. Will be watching to see what kind of replies you get on this subject.

For the most part, I lived in Florida and didn't need such heavy batting. But, now I live in KY and it's cold here. My bed is layer with 2 quilts and I'm nice and toasty warm. (Both quilted with warm and natural batting.)
Old 01-01-2013, 06:46 AM

I discovered the hard way that W&N does have a thicker batting (about 1/4"). the regular that I buy is thinner. But, for what it's worth, our bed quilt was constructed with the thinner bat and we are perfectly warm under it, along with a top sheet. Being in MI, it works for me.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:57 PM

I'm glad you started this thread, because you've addressed the same issues I have with Warm and Natural. I bought it because so many here on the board recommended it, but was disappointed in how thin it was. I feel it is fine for tablerunners and wall hangings, but I prefer a high loft in my bed quilts. I have used Quilter's Dream Puff in the past and will go back to that for bed quilts and keep the Warm and Natural for my tablerunners. I have to admit, I don't actually use my quilts when sleeping--just for looks--so I've never noticed if they were warm or not. And when gifting them, I think the high loft looks better. This has been an interesting thread to read.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 PM

I h ave heard of people using warm and natural for warming but adding a poly layer for fluff. I like W & N or Warm and white because it's 1--% cotton and will last for years. But it does not, nor ever will have loft. And the tighter you quilt it, the less it will have (as with any batting). Try that W/N and Poly combination if you want durability and fluff :-)
Old 01-01-2013, 09:52 PM

My hand quilted quilts get W&N. My baby quilts mostly get W&N, but I've done 2 now with a high loft poly batting. My personal problem with the poly is it beards horribly as I tie the layers together, and I can't fix it and make it look tidy unless I want to go over the entirety of both sides and trim the beards at each spot where the thread went through.... The last baby quilt had a faux fur backing, so the bearding got mostly hidden in the fur, but I could see it and I think it looks terrible. It makes me angry that something I worked SO hard on now has these stupid floofy beards at every tie location... The Christmas quilt I'm working on now has a red fur backing, and this daughter is ALWAYS but always cold, so I'm going to try the wool batting, and see how she likes that. W&N makes (or made, I haven't bought it in a while) a thinner and drapier batting that I used on one baby quilt (quilted that one, didn't tie it) and I thought it was nice. I like the puffiness of the high loft poly, on certain quilts, but I sure don't like the bearding that appears to go with it.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 PM

As a complete newbie, I found this thread very interesting. I want to add that I ran across Sherri Lynn Wood's wonderful blog. She says that for her functional quilts, she always uses two layers of batting, a thin 100% cotton layer on the bottom for weight and a low loft poly on the top layer for lift. Check out this gorgeous commissioned quilt she made: http://daintytime.net/2011/12/20/put...november-2011/