Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride >

Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 AM

I am still cutting too. My problem is that I am cutting scraps which need to be pressed. And then I am also cutting pieces for two other quilts as I go. One is the scrappy "Charming Addition" from December 2012 American Patchwork & Quilting which needs almost 1600 2 1/2" squares. The other quilt is my own scrappy Jelly Roll Race, using 2 1/2" strips. So I am really working hard at de-scraping. But it takes time.

Great idea Judy about washing a cutting mat. I put a new blade in my cutter and it is still skipping. Now I think I know why.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 AM

just so you know my cutting mat is the same on both sides ....just one side has lines

thanks Judy,
Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 AM

Oh my goodness me. How could I have missed the train. You all must have flown by really fast and I just blinked and you were gone. OR maybe I was so busy trying to finish a AQAYG that I haven't noticed anything. Plus doing The EAsy STreet Mystery quilt. So you started the train last year and will finish up this year. LOL. I am so in. I have so much scraps that I need to start getting rid of it somehow. I will be behind but that is ok. It is really hard to sew while hanging on to the caboose with one hand. Maybe if we slow down to pick someone else up I can really get on board right. Anyone up in the snack car.....can you bring me something out here and then feed it to me as I cut away. Oh and any drink will be fine......well not wine or something like that.....it might make me forget that I am hanging on by my fingertips and I will let go. Don't relish the idea of that one at all. I love Judy's mysteries.
Well Off to sew on my quilt as you go. I am finally joining the pieces together. Then I will look for some scraps.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 AM

I am wondering if I start making the smaller quilt and then decide to add to it, will I be able to do it easily? ... or do I need to plan it out before I start? Thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 AM

i cut all the 4.5" blocks and then decided the prints i cut were too big, and decided to recut about half of them, so it would not be so 'busy'. to begin with, i was going to use all nurses uniform scrub 'cut outs' i had. so have been cutting away all morning , picking thru my scrap boxes.
irish, glad to see you here.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 AM

screeeeeeeeeech...................train stopping....................hauling quilter on board and feeding her then ploping her on a club chair with a box of charm squares, jelly rolls, and parts of fat quarters.......o, and here is iced tea with fresh lemons.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 AM

Marymo - if you get finished with step 2 that will post on Saturday and decide you want to make the biggger size, you will be able to do so before you go on to step 3. You will just need the additional A and B fabrics and some more of the 2-1/2 x 4-1/2 pieces.

I just knew Sunlite would come to urgodschild's rescue and provide a snack as well. Alway helpful.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM

ROFL at the mat lines. I have a mat that is so old, how old is it you ask??? 1986??? I have cut right through the mat. But I rescued the bits and pieces and just cut the one into four parts. Not one to waste huh?? Could not for the life of me understand why my cuts just weren't. Hmmmmm Why I saved the parts is beyond me. I do have new mats. Oh well. Continuing on with the sewing now.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:38 PM

I still need to post my pictures. Being lazy. The cord to hook the camera to my computer is upstairs. As I was cutting the last of my squares I realized my mistake. I am doing a postage stamp quilt and have been joining the exchanges on here. I should have been cutting them too while I had 108 different fabrics out. DUH!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:41 PM

retire old mats with dignity........use for the bottoms of totes......cut them into gingerbreadmen and paint them brown
or................................................ ............................................. fill in the blank