Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Necchi...is it worth $75? Your opinions please. >

Vintage Necchi...is it worth $75? Your opinions please.

Vintage Necchi...is it worth $75? Your opinions please.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:13 PM

Default Vintage Necchi...is it worth $75? Your opinions please.

This was posted in my local ads, I wouldn't be that interested except the cabinet is beautiful and I don't have a Necchi.
The ad starts "This Necchi Heavy Duty Super Nova Sewing machine in a Necchi cabinet was brought here from Italy in the early fifties."
The only picture of the machine was its backside...obviously not posted by a sewer...she said she always wanted to learn, bought it at an estate sale.
Interesting that the inside of the cabinet shows both a foot peddle and a treadle...thoughts? anyone?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	necchi cabinet.JPG
Views:	3886
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	387713   Click image for larger version

Name:	necchi.JPG
Views:	3697
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	387714  
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 PM

P.S. Unsure if it works. Seller said the belt broke when she went to use it.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 PM

Definitely worth 75.00! You can get a motor belt from Allen International to fit it, or if memory serves, it can be treadled; It should have a knock out in the front of the machine bed to run the treadle belt through. It is too bad she didn't show front pictures. I'll never understand people who take sewing machine pictures of the backside of the machine.

The Super Nova is a really cool machine. It has a circular needle plate that you turn to accommodate the sewing you are doing, for instance straight stitch, just spin the plate to the straight stitch section. It also has 2 motor speeds, a high gear and a low gear for heavier sewing. It takes high shank feet and cams which, if they are not with the machine, are available on Ebay. You have to be diligent and quick to bid as there is demand for them. Make sure it has the bobbin case as it is proprietary. You can find original ones or after market ones are available. I can't say how well the aftermarket cases work. The Necchi's of that era are well built machines with really tight tolerances. They like to be kept clean and oiled or they will gum up. They also like to be used. Wonderful machines.

Last edited by Mitch's mom; 01-12-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:44 AM

I use mine every week and it is a great machine! I certainly wouldn't sell it for 4 times that price
Old 01-13-2013, 06:42 AM

I don't know much about Necchi's, but that cabinet is gorgeous!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 AM

I'd be all over that machine in a heartbeat....definitely get it. They love oil because their tolerances are so close, but if you keep em' oiled they are the quietest machines out there, bar none. I have two.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM

Good luck. I would have had my husband in the truck headed in that direction the minute I read the ad. Just check to be sure all the parts are there that she has. Many folks will have stuff stuck here and there and won't remember why they even moved them from their original spot--think me, I am the world's worst to plunder through a machine like this, pick up a piece from it, and wander off, then wonder why I have this little "do-hickey" in my hand; lay it down and never think of it again......Again, good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 AM

It looks like the cabinet originally held a treadled machine and the electric Nova was dropped into it much later.

I think the Nova is one of those that is easily converted to a treadle and the people who own them love their smoothness. Very quality machine and darn- that cabinet is just gorgeous!!!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 AM

I don't believe that you could convert the Nova into a treadle because the belt is internal, covered by cowl and so not accessible at all for an exterior belt...but who cares...get it!! and use the cabinet for a nice treadle.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
I don't believe that you could convert the Nova into a treadle because the belt is internal, covered by cowl and so not accessible at all for an exterior belt...but who cares...get it!! and use the cabinet for a nice treadle.
No, Dan, it can be treadled. Some of the Supernovas have a cutout in the bobbin winder cover to accomodate the belt. If it doesn't, some of my Necchi list members have used a Dremel and cut out a small piece in that cover for the belt. There should be a hole in the base inside the motor compartment for the treadle belt in back and a small hole in the front that has a little plastic plug in it.

And the bobbin cases are standard class 15 cases and bobbins. Sometimes the aftermkt cases aren't as good as the originals but it's possible to find one that works fine.

My kids bought me a Supernova Julia in a Necchi parlor cabinet that was beautiful too! The Julia needed work so we put a BU in it and it was wonderfully smooth as a treadle. Those Necchi parlor cabinets are beautiful with their beautiful wood graining. And your find sure is worth the money! Good luck, hope you get it! Polly