Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Did You Learn to Use A Thimble >

How Did You Learn to Use A Thimble

How Did You Learn to Use A Thimble

Old 01-12-2013, 06:49 PM

I didn't. They seem awkward and unnecessary to me. But, I avoid handwork, if at all possible.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:47 PM

if i put on a thimble i use another finger to push the needle through--i can use a leather thimble but i have started useing the little sticky pads [Thimble-it] and find them a big help i also use my nails alot but am lucky and have strong fast growing nails
Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 PM

I haven't, not really, though I have tried. I liked the nimble thimble the best as far as comfort goes, but as others have said, the needle always seems to find a way in at the seams. I sometimes use one of those longer leather thimbles that has the folded piece of metal at the tip. I seem to be able to keep that one on my finger the longest before frustration sets in. My biggest problem is I do so much by feel and I can't feel anything with that dang thimble on my finger. Unfortunately when I take it off I feel more than I want to!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 PM

I started when I was 8 and grandma who was a men's tailor said I couldn't sew without one. Turns out she was right. After all these years now I can't. I do like the goat leather ones but its hard to find the extra small. Usually get 1 or 2 when I see them. Dog thinks they are chew toys! I put it on my ring finger on my right hand, use the first 3 fingers to shape the stitch then push the needle through with thimble. Unless you are talking hand quilting then you are out of my league.