Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What Was I Thinking!!!! >
  • What Was I Thinking!!!!

• What Was I Thinking!!!!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM

One woman's mistake is another woman's "can't live without". I think the only ruler I have regretted buying was the Eleanor Burns flying geese before I discovered the no waste method. But, I have used it and I am sure I will again.

My aunt died this fall and my uncle brought us a bunch of her stuff. My sister actually took some of the rulers and handed to me and said,"I don't have room for this at my house. You take it and I will know where to borrow it." So, now I have a 20" square and the biggest triangle I have ever seen.

Right now my biggest regrets are pre-cuts. They stump me and just lay around looking pretty.
    Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 PM

I buy a lot of books, but do enjoy looking thru them. I bought an Easy Quilter 3.1 and Track System a few years ago at a Quilt Show. It looked so smooth at her demonstration. I didn't like all the set up, needing so much extra fabric for the backing. I used it once. I've gotten much better at fmq on my Viking Sapphire that I don't need it. If I ever do make the jump up, I'd probably get a Handi Quilter. I also got The Binding Tool, which I always have to look up the video on how to use it. I've since found an easier way to do it and no longer need than tool.
    Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have lots of quilting items I have never used but I don't regret buying them. I can buy fabric anytime but the tools may be discontinued or go higher in price by the time I do want to use them.

The erasers working as good as the Pinmoors? They don't for me, they fall off the pin with any handling of the quilt at all. The Pinmoors stay on until I pull them off. I learned not to waste money buying things that work just as good, the real items work as they are suppose to and last longer.
    I agree with you about the pinmoors! There's no comparison between them and pencil erasers...the erasers are hard to push onto the pin and they fall off as you handle the quilt. I'm a big pinmoor fan!
    Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119
    the fabric calculator...I never use it.
    I got mine half off and thought for a long time it was a mistake. But, last year when I was trying to get my grandkids quilts finished and I was having to adjust the size of the blocks to make them the way I wanted, I learned to use it and I use it all the time now. I know you can figure it out on a regular calculator, but it is easier on the Fabric Calculator. I really like it so my regret turned into love it after learning to use it.

I also had the 9" throat machine on a frame and it was a wonderful learning experience, I still have the machine and I piece on it a lot. I now have a FQ on my frame but do not regret the smaller machine to start.

What I do regret are the rotary blade sharpeners, I have several and none of them work very well. Oh well, we live and learn. Its easier to just buy new blades.
    Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 PM

"But if someone snuck into my house during the night and stole 3/4 of my rulers, I wouldn't miss them ever."

Hmmm, what small town in Oregon was that again? Just askin'.
    Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 PM

I'm not sure what the name was, but about a year after I started quilting, I invested in the AccuQuilt or AccuCut or something for my birthday. It was basically a cutting board and that's all I used it for. A $180 dollar cutting mat. I'm sure it had some wonderful uses, but I never learned them. I sold it for maybe $20 at a quilter's yardsale and the woman who bought it was so tickled to get it. She knew how much a new one would cost. Also, the bobbin winder. It's supposed to save you from having to unthread your machine to fill a bobbin, but I always needed the thread that was on the machine to fill the bobbin, so ended up unthreading it anyway.
    Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 PM

miniature iron,I bought it to iron butcher paper to fabric for my applique, doesn't get hot enough to iron anything, total waste, but it's so cute!
    Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 PM

One more thing, my daughter gave me a pair of scissor with a laser to cut a straight line. never use, I rather use a rotary cutter and a ruler, but I appreciate the thought!
    Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM

I bought a machine foot for curved piecing and book at a quilt show (did that make sense? It's a fancy foot that's supposed to make curved piecing a breeze.) The demo made it look terrific. I'm not actually sure it was a waste of money. I've just never taken the time to learn to use it. Despite the great demo, curved piecing has always scared me off.
    Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM

I never use mine either..grrrrrrrrrrrr