Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retiring - "what would you stock up on?" >

Retiring - "what would you stock up on?"

Retiring - "what would you stock up on?"

Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 PM

I agree with Lori, and unless you're planning to move to some dessert island and worry that the nearest stores are an expensive 3-day journey away, just concentrate on adjusting to the changes in your budget. In many cases, it may seem like a drastic reduction, but keep in mind that you now have a lot of expenses related to work that you no longer will have, such as the cost of getting there and dressing appropriately and maybe frequent restaurant meals, or just a quick stop for coffee with coworkers several times a week. Those things can really add up. Also, if your income is reduced, you may be in a lower tax bracket. On the other hands, some things, such as cotton fabrics and batting seem to be inflating quite rapidly, so maybe they're a better investment that socking money into the bank where it may earn a few pennies. Only if you've been quilting for many years and are sure you will continue to quilt would it make any sense at all to buy a lot of stuff far in advance. Remember, too, that styles change and you may not be as fond of today's fabrics a few years down the road, and they'd take up room in your house also.

Wishing you a comfortable and enjoyable retirement!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:09 AM

I would get batting and different shades of white. I would maybe buy gift cards that dont expire because later on you might want to buy new products that come on the market. Make a list of notions you have and find out what you might want.Get things that will make your quilting easier as you age.I did the same thing and boy was i happy I did. I bought an accu cut because i knew that my hands wouldnt work as well as I aged.It sure has helped in cutting long strips and thight shapes. I bought a product called Octi Hoops by Creative Feet.Go to www.octihoops.com and watch the video. It will save your hands while trying to quilt sm products.Its great!!! You can get so many free patterns tht I wouldn't buy books. Let us know how things come out. God Bless Dawn
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 AM

I bought the accuquilt go and a few dies each month. Then bought the sit down quilter Tiara, then a basic emboidery machine that could taken 5 x 7 hoop and would take a jump drive
Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 AM

I know it sounds extravagant but I would make sure I have plenty of white on white, cream on cream, beige on beige, blenders and solids. I can usually work something up if I have those on hand.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 AM

About twice a year our LQS has a really big sale. I buy myself the discounted gift cards to use when I need them.

I did buy the bigger sewing/embroidery machine before I quit working but realize now it was an extravagance I didn't really need.

However, am glad I bought my used LA as that was a bargain and fun to use.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:24 AM

Hobbies are seldom about what you need and almost always about what you want. Sometimes you really don't know if you like one aspect of the hobby until you try it as in do you want to buy a top end embroidery machine and/or a LA machine. So many have given conflicting advice that it is obvious this is a very personal issue and depends a lot upon what your income will be after you retire. If you will be living on SS your needs are very different than if you are going to be able to travel, go to quilt shows, send your quilts to a LA, etc and perhaps take a quilting cruise. If your income is going to have a big change I would consult a financial planner before I spent a large amount of money - or saved a large amount. Financial times are changing as we speak!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=nhweaver;5788173]I would put a stash of cash earmarked for a longarm, lessons, frame, the works, and a new sewing machine with a large throat, and all the bells and whistles I didn't even know was out there. You will have more time to investigate and try out new machines when you are retired.

Don't go and rush out to buy something right now, do your investigation so you will buy the right machine for you.

If you are a budgeting person, I would add $$$ to my money budget for sewing, pay yourself first it does help with justifying new fabric, thread, sales etc.

If you do not have a sewing room, now is the time to re allocate space for you to spread your wings and fly. The spare guest bedroom - well - get rid of the bed, buy a good blow up mattress for the rare guest, and have a space just for you and your crafts. I have come to the age to understand, that my house is to be lived in, used, and enjoyed.

Fabric, thread, patterns, your tastes will change. Mine did, my skills are growing since I retired. Longarms weren't that common 8 years ago when I retired or there would be one in my house now. One day, I will find a used longarm with all the bells and whistles and it will follow me home.[/QUOT

I think this is the best response yet!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Hobbies are seldom about what you need and almost always about what you want. Sometimes you really don't know if you like one aspect of the hobby until you try it as in do you want to buy a top end embroidery machine and/or a LA machine. So many have given conflicting advice that it is obvious this is a very personal issue and depends a lot upon what your income will be after you retire. If you will be living on SS your needs are very different than if you are going to be able to travel, go to quilt shows, send your quilts to a LA, etc and perhaps take a quilting cruise. If your income is going to have a big change I would consult a financial planner before I spent a large amount of money - or saved a large amount. Financial times are changing as we speak!
Ok, Now that I read this one, This is a very smart and good idea. Consult a financial planner! We are going through this process right now as we own a small business and are planning the succession of the company. They are actually very good and they helping us tremendously.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM

I guess I would buy fabric and more fabric but as to what I would stock up on before I retire, my answer would be money. LOL
Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM

I was forced out of work by illness in '92 and we were on very short money until I got disability in '95. I bought a lot of fabric at thrift stores yard sales etc. I find that 20 years later I'm less able to quilt and I've got a ton of fabric everywhere, I'm a little reluctant to dump it quite yet, as I hope to feel better.

But I am noticing that things cost LOTS more now then in '92. When we first quit we could run our condo for $300 a month including utilities, insurance everything. Now our condo fee is that much. Our light bill has more then doubled. I never thought that inflation, which is supposed to be low right now would take out that big a chunk, but it does.

If you can afford a financial adviser I'd recommend one. If not there are some online places you can go to check your finances out.

I agree that the best thing to do is try and set money aside now while keeping an eye on new or used machines that interest you. But you might really want to wait to retire, take some classes, go to some quilt shows...maybe even Paducah, Ky or local ones. You might find you get really interested in a technique you know nothing about right now! I would be careful on buying gift cards, some of them carry charges that they aren't that fond of being upfront about. It sounds like you are doing the right thing in thinking ahead and good luck..