Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine broke, may as well clean >

Sewing machine broke, may as well clean

Sewing machine broke, may as well clean

Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos View Post
I had this problem just a few days ago, on my Brother SQ-9000. I ended up taking out the 6 screws that hold it together, cracked the case open, cleaned it for what seemed like forever, and oiled every metal part that moved. Put it all back together (okay, so this took 4 times to get it right but we won't mention that) and it works like the day I bought it again. I just couldn't justify spending $100 for someone else to do it when I only paid $200 myself to buy it new. Hubby had very little faith in me but I figured, what's the worse that could happen? As long as I was careful when taking it apart, I wouldn't hurt the wires for the computerized part of it and I would be saving money. Maybe ya could try it? Just go slow, pay attention to what's what and what's where and be careful of any wires that connect to both sides. Hope ya get it worked out, good luck!
OH, WOW! PJ you are BRAVE! I would probably wait until I could pay for someone to fix it. I do have a backup machine, though.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingme View Post
OH, WOW! PJ you are BRAVE! I would probably wait until I could pay for someone to fix it. I do have a backup machine, though.
I wouldn't exactly say brave, I was absolutely terrified!! I will add, that right quick, I realized it was best to pull apart the casing from the presser foot end! The wires are all in the hand wheel end on my machine. I also have a backup machine, but this one is my fave and I really wanted to get the quilt done since it's been 4 yrs in the making. LoL!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 PM

My Bernina 801 ground to a halt during a workshop on Saturday. Dropped it off to be repaired and was told it was a bind in the shaft (would love to know more about what that means). She fixed it and cleaned and oiled it for me. So far it is moving like a hot knife through butter.

Cheers, K
Old 01-18-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
I agree with this totally

I agree too! Also, the previous post that mentioned how many toys the husband has!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:17 PM

I have found videos online that show how to take things apart. My hubby just took his laptop apart to replace a $12.00 cooling fan. He had found a pictorial tutorial. He was very slow and patient and it turned out fine. Moral of the story is maybe there is a video somewhere in cyber land that shows you how to take your particular machine apart.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:10 PM

Sounds to me like the DH is in favor of getting another machine. If that's the case, I'd be on that new machine like white on rice. THEN take the old machine apart and see if you can get it running. If so, you have a great back up machine.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:25 PM

If you have a digital camera take pictures. I helps when it is awhile between taking the fist screw out and getting it back in... ask me how I know LOL!

Originally Posted by PJisChaos View Post
I had this problem just a few days ago, on my Brother SQ-9000. I ended up taking out the 6 screws that hold it together, cracked the case open, cleaned it for what seemed like forever, and oiled every metal part that moved. Put it all back together (okay, so this took 4 times to get it right but we won't mention that) and it works like the day I bought it again. I just couldn't justify spending $100 for someone else to do it when I only paid $200 myself to buy it new. Hubby had very little faith in me but I figured, what's the worse that could happen? As long as I was careful when taking it apart, I wouldn't hurt the wires for the computerized part of it and I would be saving money. Maybe ya could try it? Just go slow, pay attention to what's what and what's where and be careful of any wires that connect to both sides. Hope ya get it worked out, good luck!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
It's the second part of your title that throws me. If my sewing machine broke, cleaning would be the furthest thing from my mind.
Same here!! I'd be boo-hoo-hooing so hard it wouldn't take hubby very long to repair it for me. He's a sweetie and can fix anything under the sun, as long as he has the right tools and replacement parts.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Power Poster

Yep...turn the power off get tinkering (with camera to see where bits go) and see what's jamming it. Sometimes it is something quite simple. You will be very pleased with yourself if you can get it going....and if all else fails put the $100.00 you would have spent on repairs toward the machine you want. Surely if you saved up the money to pay for a new machine it wouldn't be a problem for your husband.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

A binding in the shaft means nothing more then the shaft was cleaned of whatever it was the was making it not turn or go up and down. I have taken the housing off every machine I have once it was out of warranty. No big deal. I can see immediately what the problem is for most mech. issues. The computer part of any machine is sealed on the inside. I don't have any fear of messing it up. It's just a sewing machine and I can get another one at Walmart to hold me over if need be.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 01-20-2013 at 11:25 AM.