Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cheap Back-up >
  • Cheap Back-up

• Cheap Back-up

Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 AM

I don't know where you are in NC but I bought a Janome My Style which weighs between 12 and 13 pounds so I can take it to classes or quilt guild. I also have a Janome 10001 and my 1/4" foot works perfectly. I bought it at Ye Olde Forest Quilt Shop in Greensboro. If you buy it and don't have a Janome machine do buy the 1/4" foot. It is great for sewing quilt seams.
    Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 AM

I have a Viking Mega Quilter that sews a perfect straight stitch. It will only sew a straight seam but it's my workhorse for quilts.
    Old 01-24-2013, 06:04 AM
    Power Poster

sewing a straight seam is an operator function... heaven knows after 50 years I still go off wack at times when I rush. I say, buy a feather weight instead of a plastic machine
    Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 AM
    Banned

Necessity is the mother of invention. This is what I just came up with to get perfect seams.

Yes, that's a grocery store key card taped to it. Works perfectly!
    Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 AM

Default it the feed dogs

Originally Posted by Boonedox
    I have to respectfully disagree. My regular machine does sew perfectly straight 1/4" seams, it's just getting a tune-up. I am using my daughters machine and it's not straight. I would be the first to admit to my shortcomings but this time, it's not me, it IS the machine.
    I have 2 Vikings - one much older than the other. When sewing a 1/4" seam the newer definitely sews more straightly. It has to do with that right feed dog not catching enough fabric to keep sewing in a straight line. Do not have any problems keeping straight seams with the FW or a 301, which has a 1/4" mark on the plate.
    Old 01-24-2013, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    Singer 301 or a Featherweight. The 301 you can usually get for less than $150 and much better than a disposable, plastic machine.
    These old girls have been around for years and are still going strong. If you want one you can take with you they are the perfect answer. The Singer 15-91 is a much heavier machine but will sew through anything and is an old warhorse. It can probably be found for right around $100.00 in an old cabinet and will continue to do anything you want it to do. I have each of the machines above that I use plus the 15-91 that I teach my grandchildren to sew on. The really great thing about these old machines is that you can service them yourself as far as cleaning and lubrication is concerned. I have never had to take my machines to a service person for repair.
    Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 AM

If you have a Bernina dealer around check out the 801 it is an old machine. Worth their weight in gold. Doesn't have all the fancy stitches, but there are a few. They are sometimes hard to find. We have had one in our family for over 30 years and still fight over who gets it. I am still waiting for my turn. Good luck in your search.
    Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 AM

That's very clever! Don't think it would fix the problem with the feeddogs but I like it! :-)

Originally Posted by Dragonomine
    Necessity is the mother of invention. This is what I just came up with to get perfect seams.

Yes, that's a grocery store key card taped to it. Works perfectly!
    Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 AM

I find that the older machines, like kenmore or Janome, white ect sew a much better straight seam than most of the new ones, You can usually get them for a reasonable price at sewing shops where they have been turned in for trade. They have usually been serviced as well.
    Old 01-24-2013, 09:16 AM

Ane one of my old Singers that are Straight stitch machines sew a beautiful straight seam. The 15 clones do, as well. I've found that a machine with a zig zag or one that makes decorative stitches, tends to shew the stitches slightly.