Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ideas to host quilt group on Valentine's Day >

Need ideas to host quilt group on Valentine's Day

Need ideas to host quilt group on Valentine's Day

Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 PM

Thanks all for your suggestions..I'm considering a name tag DIY, a heart project as suggested, and a bingo with Quilt as the header and quilt terms in the squares. Quilt book or fat quarter for prizes....a tute on several ways to make half square triangles. Someone reporting projects local quilters are working on. A jigsaw quilt theme jigsaw puzzle on a table for anyone interested. A handout of tips and websites for quilters.There may be a few young children so making a kiddies only area behind sofa in den w plastic covered table top and their own craft supplies and printed pictures downloaded from on line to color, valentine making stuff. Some brown lunch bags to put their projects in with their names on them. Still open for more suggestions.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:22 AM

How about quick needle books (perhaps in heart shapes or with a heart on cover) for the favors?....For an activity, you could also put out a bin filled with buttons, lace bits, yo-yo's charms, paper crafting supplies, have everyone make some valentines and then deliver them to a local nursing home...One easy and fun game is to print slips of paper --perhaps with famous heart throbs of tv, movies and/or books--and as each person comes in, a name is pinned to her back. She has to ask simple questions of all the guests to try to guess the name on her card. ( Once, each person is my group was asked to bring a hand-made card for an exchange. We were amazed at the variety. Each card was displayed with a number and then people drew numbers to win a card. You can, also give little prizes for the most creative, the funniest, the sweetest...or whatever...
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 AM

Just noted your last note...If kids are included, they could play the guessing game, too, but with a simple theme--perhaps an animal or a cartoon figure.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 AM

You might try Sudoku with fabric. I don't know how to set up the game, but each person brings I think 5 inch squares of fabric. One person might bring x number of red, another x number of blue, etc. Each color represents a number. When the game is finished the squares are laid out in a throw size top and the winner gets the fabric. I'm sure if you google quilt Sudoku you will be able to find how to do this. We have done this at a couple of my guild meetings and it was fun.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by adamae View Post
Thanks all for your suggestions..I'm considering a name tag DIY, a heart project as suggested, and a bingo with Quilt as the header and quilt terms in the squares. Quilt book or fat quarter for prizes....a tute on several ways to make half square triangles. Someone reporting projects local quilters are working on. A jigsaw quilt theme jigsaw puzzle on a table for anyone interested. A handout of tips and websites for quilters.There may be a few young children so making a kiddies only area behind sofa in den w plastic covered table top and their own craft supplies and printed pictures downloaded from on line to color, valentine making stuff. Some brown lunch bags to put their projects in with their names on them. Still open for more suggestions.
I'm not sure if you meant that these are on your possibility list? ... or the whole agenda?
If it's your plan, my head is spinning with all the busy-ness of the time and would take from the enjoyment!

For a favour ... give everyone a FQ of a pretty Valentine's fabric and send them all home with a challenge to make something with it, for show and tell the next time your group gathers!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork View Post
I have a suggestion for a favor. I am making these for the ladies that will be attending a retreat in mid Feb. It is simple and quick to make. It is a thread catcher. You can find it by searching for 'triangular thread catcher tutorial' by Needling Things. You could fill them with wrapped treats or adapt them to use as place card. The only change i made (since i was making 17 of them) was to layer 2 strips of fabric about 9" to 9.5" right sides together. I laid the copy of the triangular template on the fabric and cut it with my acrylic ruler and rotary cutter, then trimmed the corners. You can lay the edge of the template right next to each cut you make. The fabrics are then ready to sew together. I think they are really cute!
I was just thinking about this last night, someone on the board gave a pattern for a pin cushion and thread catcher, it was really cute and useful. Even if you didnot make them have a kit ready for each person and make at the meeting or they can take them home and work on them when ever they want.