Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Fist Quilt for 2013 >

Fist Quilt for 2013

Fist Quilt for 2013

Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 PM

I think I will switch that one block to the second. I decided to modify the center points like she did. I like that effect better. I have both up. What do you think?

Looking at the quilt you can see where I could have change the pineapple blocks in the middle to the modified version with the shorter middle strips. At the time, I didn't figure it out that way until later. I don't mind tho as it has to be a bit different anyway and I like the way it is turning out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	new diamond 2.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	390910  

Last edited by Rosyhf; 01-26-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
Wow, I can't believe you figured out how to go about making it without a pattern. That quilt is absolutely fabulous, and I admire you and your ambition to make it. Oooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
It took me a while. I studied it now and then and isolate the block, as you all know quilts are just blocks lol....I did pull the pic into Adobe Photo Shop and did stuff to it so I could see it better. Then it was just a matter of placing color and fabric. The Diamond pattern came with the book and the square block was just a plain block. I took that measurement and made the pineapple square block. The entire quilt consists of squares, diamonds, and triangles. The triangles being a square pineapple block cut in half and so on but I will post as I do it.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 PM

I pinned up three diamonds to see the effect. It's going well, I like it.

Name:	star and secon row.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	781.9 KB
ID:	391211  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 AM

I like your modified diamond better. The different red on the ends makes a difference.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 PM

I have sewed the halves together and add the last two square PB and finished the rest of the PD and sew them all to the quilt. The quilt is now at stage 3

There are five stages to this quilt or I invented the stages, so as not to get too overcome with all the work. Stage one = the eight Pineapple stars, stage two= the square Pineapple blocks, stage three =the eight diamonds going around the other two stages.

Two stages are left. The four corner triangles, which will be the square P blocks cut in half etc. I have to look at my notes and will post when I get to them.

Anyway, here are two pics with everything sewed so far.

Name:	stage 3.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	717.6 KB
ID:	391719   Click image for larger version

Name:	stage 3b.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	680.2 KB
ID:	391720  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:33 PM

Default Stage 4

I have prepared the pattern for the Tri corners and I thought I would just go ahead and show you what I did and for those who are afraid or don't under stand a pineapple block, I will also show that.

I printed out another square PA block out of Eq7 without numbering. I unchecked the number box, as not all PA blocks are numbered correctly or easy to understand numbering and that is the main problem. I prefer to number the strips myself, so that it's not confusing.

After I numbered my block, I drew a line down the middle horizontally and added a 1/4 ins. seam. Now that will be the pattern for tri's to square off the quilt. I need two tri's for one corner.

Here is the square block. I call the corners the points and the other four sides, the flat sides. You have four corner sections and four flat sections or sides. The corners strips are the darks and the flats are the lights or vice versa, depending on the effect you want to create.

The middle square is number one, and can be red etc. The four strips surrounding the middle are all #2 (white). The next strip down is #3 and that is the corner or point section, skip the flat side and number the next corner #3 and so on. You have now numbered all the first corner strips #3.

Now number the flat sides beginning with #4, number the next three flat sides #4 and so on. If you notice, on the corner points, the number are uneven, 3,5,7,9,,11,13 and the flat side are even 2,4,6,8,10,12.

When you start to pp or foundation piece the block. You will do the two center strips first. Pin down #1, join a #2 then go across and do the #2 opposite that one and then do the other two opposites. Cut your 1/4 ins. seam and join #3 (which is a point or corner), finger press, go across to the other point and do the other #3, now do the other two points or corners.

Now you are ready for #4 and that is a flat side. Do the same as above. Do one flat side and go across the do the one opposite and then the other two and so on.

Since we have numbered all strips that need to be the same color, the same number, there is no room for confusion.

You would have your strips cut and numbered in front of you and all you have to is reach and sew. I normally measure each strips after I sew it (the first block) and make a note on that set of strips what length is needed for that number, then I can subcut and fly.

Name:	P1020366.JPG
Views:	476
Size:	532.8 KB
ID:	391837   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020368.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	391838  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 AM

Good Morrow Everyone, I am still breaking lol...but if you want to pass some time, here is a link to some of my quilts etc.

https://pinterest.com/rosyhf/pins/
Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 PM

I just finished two of the half PA blocks. I put those together to form the large Tri that will square off the quilt.

I don't know how much I will get done as my sister is coming from England to visit me for a month, she is arriving on Tuesday. I'm sure I will be sewing but I don't how much. I really want to get the four corner tri's done, well now I just need three corners. I might be able to finish this stage 4 and that will leave just one more stage (5).

Name:	P1020369.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	392771   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020370.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	519.3 KB
ID:	392772  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:15 PM

How did you decided which fabric or color of fabric would go where? Did you use a computer program or what?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:20 PM

Wow, what a quilt project .. I have seen your pictures before, & I know it will be fantastic.