Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MASSIVE shrinkage - beware >

MASSIVE shrinkage - beware

MASSIVE shrinkage - beware

Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 PM

I, too, am one of the hot water and RETAYNE users for prewashing fabrics. I wash all the fabrics for the quilt together so that if there are any bleeding fabrics, the RETAYNE will hopefully have taken care of it and the rest are pretreated/preshrunk at the same time. Haven't had any problems so far and have done that procedure for many years. I also include "Launder in COOL water only" on the label cuz that's what the bottle says!!! Before I started piecing quilts, I was a garment sewer (for myself and four children) and learned to prewash fabrics before cutting. I couldn't imagine sewing a garment and only getting to wear it until it was laundered because it then shrunk. Alisonquilts, am sorry of your aggravation. That massive shrinkage would be so disheartening. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 PM

I made some tablecloths for a customer and used 200 count Avalon Muslin fabric, when the customer used them and washed and dried they shrunk so much the customer couldn't use them on the longer tables that I made the cloths at 114", they ended up using them on the 6' tables. I figured they had at least 10% shrinkage and this was from Rockland Industries, but they had purchased the fabric from China. I made them replace the fabric and returned the cloths and had to be out the labor to remake the 14 tablecloths for my customer. Needless to say I don't purchase anything from Rockland anymore.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
Why did you wash it in hot water?
That is what I am querying also as IMO no-one would wash a quilt in hot water, would they?
Old 02-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

I am a member of the Sisterhood of the Fabric Abusers and I am proud of it. Rather it be me that discovers all the problems than the person to whom I have given the quilt. I always tell the person that if there are any problems just let me know and I will fix them. I try to include care instructions and a color catcher when I give the quilt. This does not mean that they will be used. We don't know how other people treat their wash. Better to be safe that sorry, I say. All that said we can only do what feels right to us. Sorry for the problem you had. Thanks for the heads up. Let me know when and where the next meeting will be, BrendaK
Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 PM

I usually wash in warm, but thanks for the info.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
That is what I am querying also as IMO no-one would wash a quilt in hot water, would they?
As above!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
I always do.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS View Post
I always do.
Apparently it has become a sin!

BTW ... welcome to the club!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:39 PM

A thread was deleted today mentioning the fact that so many posters did not read the posts. Too bad. If anyone is interested, several posters have already said why they do wash quilts in hot water. They have good reasons for what they do. It is interesting reading.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I see on fabric.com they recommend this fabric be washed in COLD water. Now I don't know about anyone else but my quilts get washed just like the rest of my laundry. I don't think I would use a fabric that could only be washed in cold in any of my quilts. That is just a ridiculous idea for a fabric manufacturer of QUILTING fabric to make fabrics that could only be washed in cold water. Sounds like they already know there is an issue with shrinkage. Sorry this happened to you.
I agree with you - just about every quilt especially if it is used well (not a hanging show piece) is washed in regular laundry procedure - usually a warm.

Marysewfun