Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
embroidery machine >

embroidery machine

embroidery machine

Old 02-08-2013, 06:15 AM

Default embroidery machine

I am thinking of buying a cheapie embroidery machine. I always wanted to do a bookcase quilt like the one moonrise did. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t211741.html
Could a Walmart embroidery machine do the titles? Is there another way...besides embroidery, to do the titles? I do not do hand embroidery so I don't want to attempt that on this type of quilt.

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 AM

if you mean this one...http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-PE...chine/20612403 it absolutely can do the titles and so much more. about 20 years ago, that was a $1000+ machine.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by twoxover View Post
if you mean this one...http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-PE...chine/20612403 it absolutely can do the titles and so much more. about 20 years ago, that was a $1000+ machine.
Oh that is great, I've been wanting one, I have seen such cute quilts made with embroidery squares, will be getting a GD anyday now, getting excited! This will be my second GC, but 22 years apart, so looking forward to a new baby. I don't know too much about embroidery machines, can I make labels with this one? It sure fits into my income tax return budget.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Is this one from Costco in your budget? A little more, but comes with 8 feet, 12 spools of thread, has a thread cutter, etc. http://www.costco.com/Brother%c2%ae-....11528279.html
Old 02-08-2013, 07:25 AM

just remember that with both of these machines, you have a 4"x4" design area.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:43 AM

Jumping in here with a question. Does wanting a large embroidery area mean big bucks? Just wondering, touches of embroidery add so much to a quilt.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 AM

The Brother you have here is an embroidery only machine. The one from Cosco does regular sewing too. It depends what you want.

Originally Posted by OKLAHOMA PEACH View Post
Oh that is great, I've been wanting one, I have seen such cute quilts made with embroidery squares, will be getting a GD anyday now, getting excited! This will be my second GC, but 22 years apart, so looking forward to a new baby. I don't know too much about embroidery machines, can I make labels with this one? It sure fits into my income tax return budget.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 AM

generally speaking, the larger the hoop that can be used on a machine the higher the price - it means a larger computer to handle the more detailed designs as well as some extra throat space for the arm to move the hoop around in. If you're going for your first machine, I'd consider the features you want before you determine the price....frequently, the cheapest machines are ones you have to have hooked to a compute the whole time you are doing embroidery - they're cheap because the machine doesn't contain the computer necessary to do the work - it depends on the computer to do the wok and to download it continuously. For lots of people this is an almost impossible situation since they don't have space near their compute for this to happen. Other machines allow you to load designs onto a thumb drive, or dongle, which is then plugged into the machine to do the work. Other, older machines, require you to insert special computer cards into the machine. You may be able to get an older machine that will allow larger hoops and give you more beginning flexibility than the "cheap" ones...just try several out and see what you want before you buy.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by twoxover View Post
just remember that with both of these machines, you have a 4"x4" design area.
I think this is an important factor. I have the Brother SE 400, pretty much the same machine. It has only a 4x4 embroidery area. What does this mean? Let's say you want to make Christmas stockings with embroidered names. The names will be about 1- 1 1/2" tall. That is as big as the letters get. I made one for my mom and made little tag blankets for my grandkids. The letters were that size, not at all what I had hoped for. The designs that come with the machine are the same. The biggest I have used was about 2".
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM

If you have a dealer close, check with them. Frequently they have trade ins that you can get , bigger bang for your buck.