Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need to vent! >

I need to vent!

I need to vent!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 AM

A few years ago, a co-worker asked if I would make a Noah's Ark baby quilt for her godson. Never having been asked to make a quilt, I felt honored. She gave me free rein as to the pattern, fabric selection and finish date. I gave her a price of $150.00 which was VERY reasonably priced. I designed the pattern, chose the fabric, kept her updated on my progress and hand-quilted it. It was ready in four months. When I called her into my office, she couldn't believe how well it turned out. She refused to pay the $150 that we agreed upon, and wrote out the check for $300. When I tried to refuse it because that was not what we agreed on, she told me, her Mom used to make quilts and both new the time and effort that went into a hand made quilt. She wouldn't take back her check. I know how lucky I was to have had such a pleasant first quilting experience.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by picoqwiltr View Post
A few years ago, a co-worker asked if I would make a Noah's Ark baby quilt for her godson. Never having been asked to make a quilt, I felt honored. She gave me free rein as to the pattern, fabric selection and finish date. I gave her a price of $150.00 which was VERY reasonably priced. I designed the pattern, chose the fabric, kept her updated on my progress and hand-quilted it. It was ready in four months. When I called her into my office, she couldn't believe how well it turned out. She refused to pay the $150 that we agreed upon, and wrote out the check for $300. When I tried to refuse it because that was not what we agreed on, she told me, her Mom used to make quilts and both new the time and effort that went into a hand made quilt. She wouldn't take back her check. I know how lucky I was to have had such a pleasant first quilting experience.
I had a wonderful experience like that also. I worked with a gal who was going to be a great aunt - I made 3 quilts for her. She bought the fabric and would have given me whatever I wanted.
I think your price was good for her - if she didn't appreciate it, too bad.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM

This is the problem now days! People want cheap! Your price was way too cheap for all thet work! Its hard to make money making quilts! People who don't use their hands to create will never have an idea of what it takes! I do agree that you should have it broken down by cost of fabric, number of hours, etc. Never sell yourself short! I wonder how often folks have gone through all the work only to have someone NOT pay! I made cloth dolls one year for a gal and she told me I had all this time to finish and we agreed on a date. I had them all ready a week before the due date and she backed out on me saying it had taken too long to make the 8 dolls! I ended up selling them to others and made a nice amount on them! Some folks just never have any idea! Hang in there and set some prices, but break it down!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM

I think QuiltMania said it perfectly...I would do exactly what she/he said...I feel your pain.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM

Several years ago, I did a craft fair with a friend and I made baby things. Stil have a lot of blankets. My husband's sister made the commett that she was always had to buy baby gifts for the young mothers at church. I asked her if she would buy some of the blankets from me. She said that she perferred to get them at wal-mart.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM

I am amazed that people are willing to spend $500 for a phone and stand in line to get it, that will be obsolete before they get it home, but balk at one of a kind handmade treasures.
I think your prices are a little low also. And as someone said, sometimes it depends on where you are able to sell.
Good luck.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
Several years ago, I did a craft fair with a friend and I made baby things. Stil have a lot of blankets. My husband's sister made the commett that she was always had to buy baby gifts for the young mothers at church. I asked her if she would buy some of the blankets from me. She said that she perferred to get them at wal-mart.
I so much do not understand that generation who believes something bought even at walmart is worth more than hand made item. I can't wait till a couple of years go by and they realize their "stuff" are falling apart or looks like the other 20,000 others that was made and shipped from china.

I love the story from picoqwiltr. You really got a customer who appreciated your work and valued it. She is truly a person of character not to have taken advantage of your work.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

I feel your pain. I start my pricing for making a quilt at $400.00 for bed size. Just the cost of fabric can eat a third of that. People just don't know that it is an art and a craft like pottery, blowing glass, making jewelry or wood working.

peace
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM

The OP's vent was posted over 3 years ago! I suspect she's long over it by now, don't you think?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:03 PM

This is why I would never sew garments for anyone for money, they don't want to pay the price. I only give quilts as gifts, and the person has to be VERY special. If I am making a quilt for someone that I am unsure of how well they will take care of the gift, I don't use quilt shop fabrics only from JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby.
D