Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more? >

How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:49 AM

I just started long arming for customers to earn a little fabric money...I have to say your post and similar posts impact me two ways. They tell me that there are a lot of people out there doing less than amazing work - and it also scares the heck out of me!! I hope that I'm dong good enough! Right now I am offering my quilting at a pretty deep discount because I'm new to my long arm, and I tell you, I can do pretty darn good heirloom quilting on my domestic but the long arm is just in it's own category. While quilting on a domestic and a long arm are similar in ways, they are totally different skills.

I love it though, and I hope to never disappoint a customer the way I have seen some disappointed on this board.

I certainly would never give you a different batting than you request, that is pretty stinky. You CAN make the rules for your own business, however you need to discuss the rules and boundaries you have set with your customer. After all it was YOUR quilt. You should have the right to decide if you want to continue on with a long armer who doesn't share your thoughts on how your own quilt should be quilted. The thread I can sort of understand, it's not uncommon for many long armers to want to stick to one brand or weight of thread. Tension is a real pain on the long arm, it's much more finicky than on your domestic and I don't think it's unreasonable to stick with one thread that works. I wouldn't want a long armer experimenting with new thread on my quilt, know what I mean? But if you ask for a certain color, she she either give it to you or explain why she thinks something different would be better. Let you decide first if you want to proceed.

So sorry this happened to you, and good luck finding someone new to quilt for you!!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:07 AM

That's appalling! You must have felt so upset the first time it happened. But the third time you must have been furious! IMHO she had to have understood what you wanted ... you gave her the supplies to use! That, coupled with her flimsy excuses, leads me to think she was being dishonest with you. The 50% refund would not have been enough reparation for the damage done. You are right to warn your fellow guild members about what goes on there.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:09 AM

I give a long arm quilter one chance. I take the time ask questions of the quilter first after getting recommendations from others. I give clear exacting directions on what I want and expect, ask for input to make sure my expectations are reasonable, establish a time line for completion of the piece and release my work to the quilter. I am hiring a skilled service provider. If they do not provide the service I need, then they are not the individual I should be working with.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 AM

Just a thought, but you can mail your quilts to someone....there is NO excuse for not getting what you've asked for.....I have never been treated that way by a LA, and I've known 3 due to moving, either they have or I have...and I can mail to either of my previous LA, one in Nevada and one in Wisconsin...I know mailing a quilt scary but there are tons of people that do it!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 AM

There are lots of long arm quilters on this board. You would have to mail your quilt to them, but from what I have been reading for several years, everyone was satisfied. Just look around some.
The lady who quilted my first quilt gave me a choice of thread - I provided the batting. The only thing she changed was from variegated to cream when she quilted the cream blocks in the 4 corners and I'm glad she did. It's my avatar quilt.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

I would have stopped at the 1st one!! If she can't deliver what the customer wants, she won't be in business long. I'd tell her why and go some where else!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 AM

Find a new Longarmer!
Go to your local quilt shows and see who is quilting in your area.
Google long arm quilting in your state or city.
Ask at your LQS for recommendations. (and who to avoid)
Tom
Oak Leaf Quilting
Old 02-12-2013, 05:45 AM

I am shocked that the longarmer would not use your batting or thread. If she had a problem with either, she should have told you upfront and then you could have decided whether to find someone else or not. I let my customer choose their batting and thread color. Right now I have Hobbs 80/20, Legacy 70/30 and Wool batting to choose from but if they wanted something different, I would get it. I use predominately Permacore or Glide thread and have a variety of colors. I even have the thread charts in case the customer can't find what she wants and I will order it. I took classes, but my instructor never said we could deviate from what the customer wanted. Good luck in finding another longarmer in your area.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:50 AM

Two times at most. I was lucky enough to finda great LA quilter and I would never try anybody else.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:58 AM

I always fill out a paper with batting, thread and quilt pattern and sign it and so does the person doing the job. If they have a problem of any kind, they call and discuss it with me before proceeding. I would never accept a change in thread color or batting without atleast a 50% discount. I never would have given her a second chance either.