Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite New Little Helper >

Favorite New Little Helper

Favorite New Little Helper

Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 AM

I use my wonder clips when I piece. There is no buckling or sliding of the fabric like happens with pins and matching seams is much easier. It's much easier to keep all of the pieces square when there has to be some easing. I've never used them for binding yet but I use them almost every day! BTW...the clips are marked for the quarter inch seam.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote from gardnergal970: BTW...the clips are marked for the quarter inch seam.

Thanks gardnergal. No one else has told us about the marks on the Wonder Clips that let you know how far to put them on. There are three marks on the back side, for different width bindings. Also: they are flat on the bottom so that they slide effortlessly; they are so TINY and they are so CUTE; they work so well.

So why don't I use mine any more?

I found out about ELMER'S SCHOOL GLUE. On this board, of course. Google that and you will be amazed. Now I see there is a plastic tip available that can be screwed right onto the Elmer's bottle that will let you put on a thin line of glue. I forgot which site I saw it on, but it was either Joann's, Missouri Quilt, or Overstocks. Hope you can find them. Qualifies for free shipping!

[h=2]Basting with Elmer's Washable School Glue. This thread gives complete directions.[/h]

Last edited by maviskw; 02-14-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 AM

I found a u-tube demo showing a lady using them to sew the binding on by machine. Somehow she nestled a "ridge" on the wonder clip in the seam and then used a zipper foot to sew right alongside the clip on the unsewn side and the threads did not show on the other side as they were in the ditch! I was so excited and bought 2 fifty packs with my coupons at Joanns and now I can't find that demo again on u-tube - there are alot more on there but that one really was a good demo. I have used mine to hand sew on a tiny quilt and they worked great - I love them! Have also given them as presents to my quilting friends. Now I've just got to get my WIP's finished to that stage to try it on the machine!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 AM

I've not seen the wonder clips but have been given something that works great as well. During the pre Christmas retail season my DS was working at a clothing shop in the mall that had really nice metal clips on the shirts. Since the store was throwing them away as they unfolded and hung the shirts for display he asked if he could bring them home to me. They work great! And they were free to boot!

Last edited by mom-6; 02-14-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 AM

I purchased the wonder clips awhile back and tried them while sewing on my binding. My thread kept getting caught on them so I went back to using straight pins. While working on my log cabin quilt binding, I decided to try them again. This time I didn't have any problems. Don't know what I was doing differently last time but I'm using them from now on. I still pin at the miter corners but everywhere else I use the clips. I have 150 and sometimes that's not enough if I have a couple quilts waiting to be hand sewn. Anyway, I love them and though they may be a little pricey, they're worth it. I think I waited till I found them on sale before I picked up 3-50 packs.

Suz in Iowa
Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Quote from gardnergal970: BTW...the clips are marked for the quarter inch seam.

Thanks gardnergal. No one else has told us about the marks on the Wonder Clips that let you know how far to put them on. There are three marks on the back side, for different width bindings. Also: they are flat on the bottom so that they slide effortlessly; they are so TINY and they are so CUTE; they work so well.

So why don't I use mine any more?

I found out about ELMER'S SCHOOL GLUE. On this board, of course. Google that and you will be amazed. Now I see there is a plastic tip available that can be screwed right onto the Elmer's bottle that will let you put on a thin line of glue. I forgot which site I saw it on, but it was either Joann's, Missouri Quilt, or Overstocks. Hope you can find them. Qualifies for free shipping!

[h=2]Basting with Elmer's Washable School Glue. This thread gives complete directions.[/h]
For the life of me I have not been able to fine this glue tip applicator anywhere, on line or in the stores ?????
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM

One of the best quilting tools since the rotary cutter!!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 AM

HI dakotamaid,me too, hair clips do a great job,and so much cheaper.For anyone with little money to spend,remember there are often cheaper alternatives that work just as well, keep the spare cash for fabric !!! Love Letty
Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 AM

I got two boxes of 50 for Christmas, yes they are wonderful and yes they look like mini clothespins, and yes they stay put. So glad I have them!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM

I love the wonder clips as well. I have bought 3 boxes of them. I use them on binding and gave one each to DH and DS for holding their earbuds while exercising.

I also bought 2 packs of the jumbo ones, but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

I used to use the metal ones, but always hated having to make sure they were grabbing the fabric well, plus have to "snap" them shut after removing them.