Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I decided to try spray basting!! >

I decided to try spray basting!!

I decided to try spray basting!!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 PM

Bit of a late reply here but I was looking for some info on using Elmers Craft Bond myself.
I'm a newbie quilter and I knew I would be awful at pin basting so I immediately went into research mode and found out about spray basting. Which I was super excited about until I saw how ridiculously priced the cans were. So I remembered I already had a can of Elmer's Craft Bond upstairs that I used for putting drawings on cardstock backing, and I googled until I found someone else using it for quilting.

SO FAR it hasn't stained anything and I'm really happy with it. I notice a bit of gum on the needle but it's not so much that it gets in the way or can't be cleaned off easily as needed. It's repositionable and it doesn't make the fabric feel stiff or anything. I just make sure to lay down some newspaper or tracing paper or something so I don't get it all over the house.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:58 PM

I have found spray basting so much better where room is limited. I usually begin in a centre area then go outwards. At present making a reverse applique bed quilt in 12 inch blocks. I mark top and cut out . At first was tacking backing into place, with 32 blocks to do I decided to see about spray basting. I tried a nameless spray which left large dry blobs and went back to 505 which worked great. I spray the holey top lightly with 505 and then position this onto backing.
It is working great managing to do at least one block a day.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 AM

I too decided to try spray basting when I found a group of finished tops in the closet. I am not a quilter but decided to stitch in the ditch after basting. The only brand I could find was Dritz and it worked! My husband and I use the spray baste outside and I spray the fabric, not the batting. It even worked on poly batting. We laid the sandwich down on an outside bar. I stitched in the ditch and used a regular pressure foot, not the walking foot as I have trouble controlling the speed. I completed two projects but have six more to go. The majority of these are 50x70... not sure I would be brave enough to try a larger size, and these will be used for comfort quilts.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 AM

Some of the quilters on the board are layering their quilts using Elmer's washable school glue. i haven't tried it myself because I can't clearly understand what they're doing. I have used it to match seams and to put on binding and it works perfectly for that.

So if you keep having difficulty using the spray you might check out layering with glue.

I use the 505 spray basting but I have only quilted lap quilts with it. I am about to try it on a queen, but I expect no problems.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 AM

Have you seen the posts about using Elmers school glue? Lot more economical and it works.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

dray965 - glue basting is so much easier, in my opinion. No overspray, no fumes, and it all washes out. Check out the tutes and let us know if it works for you.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 AM

Basting spray is a blessing when you need it. I dont use it very often but when I do its a great product. Have tried different brands and have found 505 is the best one out there, well worth the extra money.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 AM

No, don't spray the batting, spray the fabric. Batting has hills and valleys in it, and the spray doesn't spread evenly. Spray half the quilt back, put your batting down on the backing fabric, smooth it,then spray the other half,smooth again. Hope thi s helps.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 AM

I have used both 505 and June Taylor spray for sandwiching my quilts. Both work very well but the June Taylor is less expensive. I also use the cotton batting; either 100% or 80/20. I lay the batting on the floor; tape down; spray and put down backing; turn over and do same on front. works great.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by dilyn View Post

Patsy Thompson has a great video for spray basting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwV8tUkhxUM
OMG!!! The video is FANTASTIC! I have a large quilt that won't fit on my table, and spent a long time crawling around on my hands and knees spray basting on the floor. I can't do that again - my knees and my back complained for days. Patsy's method of spray basting on the wall will solve so many problems! My design wall is the back of my metal garage door (we've converted the garage into office space and don't use the garage door) -- I can just use magnets to "pin" the top edges while I spray/baste. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the link!