Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I don't know where I went wrong?? >

I don't know where I went wrong??

I don't know where I went wrong??

Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

Well...I'm just going to echo everyone else....I find if I press seams open and then "nest" everything together and pin it to death it works for me. Your points are excellent and I think you are being way to hard on yourself. If you can't live with it as it is, unpick and redo. As for quilting, go for an echo and then maybe a motif in the cream areas. This really does deserve finishing.....As for your big quilt project....just go for it....sure there will be some "what am I doing" moments and an hour or two unpicking....but there's nothing like that feeling as you put the last stitch in the binding and think about the label. So hang in there and happy quilting.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Smg1678 View Post
Hi, I thought before I tackled getting started on the full sized quilt I am going to make for my daughter I would buy fabric to make a little wall hanging.....I thought I was so careful in my cutting and sewing, but as you can see in my picture...OBVIOUSLY NOT!!

Instead of throwing this out and starting again, I thought I would use this as a way to start to practice machine quilting....I have only ever done tied quilts......so I am looking for a few suggestions on how to quilt it...remember TOTAL BEGINNER....

I could just sew a great big button in the center to hide my mistakes as use it a the dogs placemat or something.....but no I will just use this as a learning tool.....
Hey, I am in the process of making the same Big Star Quilt from Missouri Quilts on youtube. I have all 12 blocks ( 25 inch blocks) made and am cutting out smaller blocks to snow ball the corners. I am going to quilt mine in 1 inch diamonds. I had to order more material for the backing so I am waiting on that right now. Good luck, Syl
Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

Your points are sharp so I figure you are upset with the matching in the center which I can't see. Quilt right through the the center. It will push it down and make it less important. It is the puffy part that comes forward So just quilt through all parts you think are bad. It looks good to me.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 PM

OK you say a mistake exist. I will take your word for it but I don't see it. Maybe if I examined it I would find it, but most people don't even think of doing such. Practice quilting, do your best and consider yourself the owner of a very pretty block to do something worthwhile with.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
What amazed me about your square was how perfect the green points next to the cream fabric were. The green/cream fabric contrast caught my eye first and I was amazed with how perfect the points were. I wouldn't scrap the entire project at all.

Your color choices are so beautiful and the points so perfect that I think it would be a shame to give up on the quilt. Please don't give up on it! Besides, that cream will show off some beautiful quilting.
i agree and also saw the perfect green points and couldn't figure out what was the matter. Finally after rereading your (OP) post again I saw that it was the center that bothered you. It isn't all that noticeable to the rest of us. Really. The noticeable points (the green around the edge) look perfect. Those are completely noticeable and the attention actually goes there. The eye just skims over the rest.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:23 AM
QM
Power Poster

Most of us who have been quilting for a while can tell you that this quilt top is quite good, especially for a newbee. I suspect you would benefit from a tutorial on half square triangles, but please don't give up on yourself. My guild sisters would use FMQ with a meander on this. I suspect I would do straight line quilting on it. You made good fabric and color choices.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 AM

Keep it .the centre needs quilting first a flower petal in each diamond all the lines into the centre may solve a small proble, if not make one of thos round fabric squishy things.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 AM

I think it looks fabulous. I have learned that my "perfection-ism" does not belong with my quilting. It's almost as if I can't wait for a point or a seam to NOT line up because I found at that point, I feel incredible freedom to finish the project with all it's imperfections....And be happy with it! I've made a lot of baby quilts in the few years I've been quilting and you know what? Not one of those babies have called me up to tell me that my points were off or they didn't like the 2 little puckers that happened on the back. If I ripped out everthing that wasn't "perfect" in my eyes, I would NEVER get anything finished.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 AM

If you can't see it galloping by on a horse it is ok.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

You did a great job!!!!!!!!