Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Bargello and Sampler Blocks Quilt >

Bargello and Sampler Blocks Quilt

Bargello and Sampler Blocks Quilt

Old 03-02-2013, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
It sounds like you used left over fabric from your blocks, or did you use a store bought jelly roll? If so, which one?

It's really beautiful!!
I finally realized you were asking about the bargello section, not the sashing! I cut all the strips for the bargello from my stash. I HAD a pretty good batik stash--this made a pretty good stash buster. It only used fairly good size pieces from the stash though--I used 23 different fabrics and needed 3 2.5"xWOF strips from each (you can cut them from fat quarters (6 2.5"x21" strips of each fabric). You could certainly use jelly rolls but you would need more than one jelly roll to get the number of strips you need from each color to get the effect. It is fun to arrange and re-arrange the strips trying to visualize the "flow" for the effect you are looking for. When I had what I wanted, I taped a little scrap of each fabric in order on a piece of paper and numbered them to keep me straight as I worked. Even then I had to redo a couple places as small scraps of the varigated fabrics were sometimes hard to distinguish in the big strip and I sewed a couple in the wrong order. I did not have enough of any of the fabrics from the blocks to use in the bargello but the batiks coordinate well enough it didn't matter.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I would have never picked those colors but there is something about them that I find really appealing...that's one thing I love about this forum, seeing everyone else's work really broadens my mind! I've learned that I like a lot more color combinations than I ever thought I did! LOL

I've done two bargellos that were just irregular "v's", if that makes any sense...all up and down at random. I need to try one of these "eye" style ones. It really makes an impact!
Hi Sonoma,
I also love the way seeing other's quilts broadens my mind. I especially love Asian quilts and saw this as a complete departure from my normal style and colors. I found it amusing that several people have seen this and told me "I always love your Asian style" It is pretty but it does not look Asian to me!
There are many lovely bargello patterns out there and I like this one enough that I know I will want to do another bargello sometime. I love the "motion" of the bargello and am now watching for a completely different pattern from the "eye" of this one.

Last edited by I Herd Ewe; 03-02-2013 at 02:57 PM.