Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Oh, woe, I am so bummed! >
  • Oh, woe, I am so bummed!

• Oh, woe, I am so bummed!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Default Oh, woe, I am so bummed!

Soooo, I took my Quantum L-500 back to my repair guy, again. This time, he first said he didn't think he could fix it this time. Then he said he would check to see if he could get the part from Singer, since he isn't an authorized Singer repair shop. The closest one of those is over 100 miles from me. This is fairly major, the whole hook assembly has to be replaced, at $120.00 for the part. But, I need my machine, I have work stacked up. And he will fix it quickly once he gets the part. I feel Singer made some mistake in building the thing, have broken needles forever. It is a little over two years old. If money were no object(which of course it is), what machine would you buy to do fancy stitches, piece and quilt, and generally sew every day?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-04-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Old 03-04-2013, 12:22 PM

I have a Janome and love it. WOuld buy it again. So sorry to hear about your machine. Hope it gets fixed soon. Beth
    Old 03-04-2013, 12:25 PM

So sorry to hear of your problems. Have you contacted Singer regarding the problem and frequent trips to the repair shop? I think you should. What harm would it do? All they can do is ignore you or say too bad, but there is nothing they can do. I think it's appalling that you are having trouble with a machine that is just over 2 years old. You shouldn't have any repairs on an almost new machine!!!
    Sue
    Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 PM

I love the Janome 6600... lots and lots swear by Janome.
    Old 03-04-2013, 12:41 PM
    Power Poster

I'm sorry you are having such a headache. I ordered this machine from HSN a while back and after running it through the paces, decided to send it back. Too rough-shod for me. Now I have a Baby Lock and LOVE that machine. Mine is the Espire which is now marketed as the Symphonie. I paid a little over 2k for mine a few years ago. There is nothing I don't love about the machine - although I do wish she had a built-in walking foot.
    Old 03-04-2013, 12:42 PM
    Power Poster

Have you looked online for the part? The repairman told me the same thing, he didn't know if he could get the part because he wasn't Singer authorized. I found the part online for 1/2 the price he quoted from the parts book. Took it to him and got the machine fixed. I don't use him anymore. He didn't have the sense to look online himself, never thought of it. Kept asking me how did I buy it without being authorized. Clueless is annoying when it comes to getting the job done.
    Old 03-04-2013, 12:42 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

I would be bummed too. IMHO, if it is fixable, it's probably worth it.
    Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 PM

I'm wondering if you might not want to have a basic backup machine to use for just piecing and save your fancy machine for the special things it does. I don't have a fancy machine yet, although I'm considering which one I want to get. Haven't decided which features I will be most likely to use as I've never had one that did more than straight, zigzag and a few decorative stitches that I never used.
    Old 03-04-2013, 01:08 PM

I have an Elna 7200 (pretty much Elna's version of the Janome 6600) and I love this machine! It's a workhorse that has given me four years (so far!) of quilting pleasure. I especially love the extra deep harp area - fabulous for when I'm quilting a larger quilt. The stitches are beautiful and it's a very easy machine to learn and use.
    Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 PM

Love my Janome 6600. Having said that, I highly recommend watching the videos
    posted here. A real eye opener.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...d-t215131.html