Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gluing is GREAT! >

Gluing is GREAT!

Gluing is GREAT!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:49 AM

Gluing is my life saver! I have been doing it for about 2 years now. Great if you want to take something apart and do it over again and the best part - NO PINS TO STICK ME!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 AM

Did you wash the table runners when you got done, as when I tried this on a wall hanging, there was hard spots where the glu was.

Originally Posted by SittingPretty View Post
I used the school glue on a couple of table runners to try it out. Just LOVE it!!! No spray fumes, no pins to reposition, no long, drawn out basting session. This will be my favorite way to baste from now on!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
Just a few questions:
Is there a difference between using the Elmers glue stick or the liquid glue in a bottle?
Yes, the glue stick isn't as precise. Instead of a single drop, you get the width of the stick, which is what, half an inch?

Does one work better than the other for different sewing?
Not sure what you mean by "different sewing".

Does anyone use it for applique instead of starch?
In my opinion, glue and starch are different products with different uses. Starch stabilizes the fabric, glue holds it in place. So no, I don't use it in place of starch.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:55 AM

I guess my questions were not as understandable as I wished - ....
"Does one work better than the other for different sewing?" I meant, Are there circumstances where the glue stick may be better to use as opposed to using the liquid? example - Would you use the liquid to "pin" down a smaller piece of fabric as in applique and perhaps use a glue stick for "pinning" lengths of fabric as in borders, or binding?

"Does anyone use it for applique instead of starch?" In applique, where the edges are folded under and then sewn, it is common to use liquid starch and apply it with a brush or Qtip to the under turned edges so that they "stick" underneath. This makes sewing easier and quicker whether by hand or by machine especially for smaller, finicky pieces. I was wondering if anyone has used the Elmers glue for this purpose and possibly make the process easier and faster than using liquid starch.
I am thinking that since the glue is concentrated starch and if only a little bit is used that it could possibly be used for smaller pieces when doing applique not only to hold the edges but also to hold in place.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
How do you use Elmer's washable glue for matching points? I'm not following. I always use pins. Please, someone explain how to do it. Thanks.
Work on your ironing board: match the points/seams, stick a pin straight down through both layers and down through your ironing board cover. Then carefully left the top layer (check to be sure the two layers are matched spot on) and then put tiny bits of glue in the seam allowance, press dry, remove pin, and you're good to go.

Chain piecing is FAST. No pins to make "humps" or remove as you sew
Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 PM

I too am shouting the benefits of glue from the rooftops!! My last quilt turned out with perfectly matched 4 patch squares! I was totally elated at how precise it made them! I was using a washable glue stick and it was messy, I just used the very edge of it along the seams and it worked ok. I will invest in a bottle of washable glue next time to ease up the messiness of the stick on my cutting mat. But, I have to say that glue works like magic to ensure your points and seams come out perfectly precise!! YIPPEE!!! I am a perfectionist so this little technique is my new best friend! lol
Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM

In my last quilt (a Warm Wishes) I didn't glue the entire seam but did glue where seams met. Wow, what a difference. So much easier to match. Pins just do let fabric move; glue doesn't. Whoever first discovered this has my gratitude and congrats!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM

I guess my questions were not as understandable as I wished - ....
"Does one work better than the other for different sewing?" I meant, Are there circumstances where the glue stick may be better to use as opposed to using the liquid? example - Would you use the liquid to "pin" down a smaller piece of fabric as in applique and perhaps use a glue stick for "pinning" lengths of fabric as in borders, or binding?

"Does anyone use it for applique instead of starch?" In applique, where the edges are folded under and then sewn, it is common to use liquid starch and apply it with a brush or Qtip to the under turned edges so that they "stick" underneath. This makes sewing easier and quicker whether by hand or by machine especially for smaller, finicky pieces. I was wondering if anyone has used the Elmers glue for this purpose and possibly make the process easier and faster than using liquid starch.
I am thinking that since the glue is concentrated starch and if only a little bit is used that it could possibly be used for smaller pieces when doing applique not only to hold the edges but also to hold in place.
Okay I understand better, thanks for clarifying. I think there are circumstances where the glue stick is better: I use a glue stick to adhere applique shapes to the background, and anywhere where precision isn't required. I use starch to press the appliques in shape, then I use dots of glue to temporarily attach the applique to the background. The great thing about this technique is the glue isn't permanent, you can pull the glued pieces apart and re-glue them if needed.

I've used it a lot on things that would ordinarily be curved piecing, such as clamshells, apple cores, and circles. Is that cheating?

And to clarify something else you said - Elmer's glue is not concentrated starch. I think it used to be, years ago, but no longer. The Elmer's MSDS sheet available on their website states that it is PVAC (polyvinyl acetate) based.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM

To answer a couple of questions...

I don't use a special nozzle for matching seams or borders. Just put the tiniest bit of pressure on the bottle and dab the tip on the fabric. You'll get little dots or smears of glue. Go as far as you feel comfortable (I like about 6 inches at a time except I do the seam intersections separately) and then place the top layer in place. I like to quickly press and move on. It's faster than it sounds.

Also, I like doing it on the ironing board too for a nice smooth surface and having the iron handy. I prefer to press mine because it sets immediately. It is so much fun to sew those LONG seams without having any pins in the way!

Last edited by sewplease; 03-05-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:27 AM

I have to add my two cents worth to gluing with Elmer's Glue.....

I purchased this mini iron from Amazon (no affiliation just a very satisfied customer)

SteamFast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron
Sold by Amazon.com LLC

This is a very tiny iron and so great for pressing after using the glue - I have NOT used the steam feature so cannot comment on that feature but use it exclusively when piecing. For the $19.95 price it is one of my better investments!!