Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color: Top/bottom threads >

Color: Top/bottom threads

Color: Top/bottom threads

Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Default Color: Top/bottom threads

Do you always use the same color in your top/bottom threads when you quilt? How often do you use two seperate colors?

I have quilted on a black backing fabric twice. Once with black thread (and it was too strong a color on the front) and one with silver thread (which seemed too strong on the black fabric on the back). So..am I just not up to date on how to quilt? Should I be using one thread color for the top and a different one for the bobbin thread?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM

Right now I have a purple variegated on the bottom and on the top, I've used a cream, a tan and now another purple variegated, so, yes, you can use a different color on the top and bottom. I prefer to use one bottom color and match or contrast my top to the areas I'm in, depending on my mood and the fabric.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

i choose thread colors to go with the top & bottom- if white works on top & blue on bottom-then that's what i use.
or what ever. often i will (try) to make them the same (value) but often they are different colors- once in a great while i will use the same top & bottom - if the backing goes with the top well enough for the same to work.
often when people say you should use the (same thread) they mean* type/fiber content/weight*---not necessarily the same color.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:58 PM

If you use different color threads in the top and bottom while quilting you have to take care that your tension is perfect. Otherwise it becomes the 'other' color is readily apparent because it will appear as litlle 'pinpoints' of a different color in your quilting line.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

If you are FMQing, it's almost impossible on most machines to balance tensions perfectly and keep them perfectly balanced as you move the quilt around. The result is little dots of the opposite color (bottom thread pulled to top or top thread pulled to bottom). For the most part the dots are not a problem if you intend to wash the quilt, as washing tends to make them all disappear inside the batting.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:41 PM

I agree with Prism. My tension is never perfect so I tend to match them. I also tend to buy backing that will hide some quilting flaws. No solids for me yet.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:04 PM

I use thread to match my backing and usually use a variegated for the top...if not then a color that kind of blends so my top and bottom threads rarely "match"....
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 PM

I try to keep the threads in the same value. As stated above on thin batting you will have pops of thread color on either side. On a thick batting like wool you can get away with more variation.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:00 AM

i have used two different colors. same kinda of thread thou