Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Anastasia’s Table Topper/Runner Swap  -- Closed >

Anastasia’s Table Topper/Runner Swap -- Closed

Anastasia’s Table Topper/Runner Swap -- Closed

Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 PM

uh oh, dabbler. has that old binding reached out and snarled at you again?i think binding is pretty fun. i love doing the handstitching on the back, but grann of 6 showed me a lovely way to machine stitch it, and when i get that down pat it will be a good, faster alternative. i've finally figured out the corners so i'm feeling pretty good about it. which part is giving you fits?

beautiful salmon hibiscus. would love to learn to embroider! so pretty!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 PM

What do you mean get one from Zulily? Go make it! Duh... girl it takes a little tulle and elastic and maybe some cute ribbons added. You cut your tulle in strips and the elastic the length of the waist, tie the tulle onto the elastic by folding in half and doing a slip knot... EASY I will make you one if you want. I have tulle in every color for my princess.

Charleigh loves them but they "need to be purple Grammie" and btw... expect a package on Wednesday! I was so excited about getting it out that I totally blew off taking pictures so you better post some! Although Steve's Special Quilt will not be in the package... I made big big boo boo, but it is going on the back burner, I am going to Portland this weekend with my sister and we are going to go to some LQS's... (here fishy fishy fishy... I ran out of FABRIC!)

And our side swap package will be going in the mail tomorrow, to arrive just in time for a "Special Birthday Girl... I hope you like it Vanogay!

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
ps is anyone else getting that tutu ad from zulily? its posted at the top? I want one of those in all those colors just to hang like that on a wall, wouldnt they be pretty? sigh. something say they are expensive and not in my size. ah heck a size 2t would be soooo cute. one red one, one yellow one, one blue one, one purple.. I need them. yup. like daisy fabric I need them.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM

Very Beautiful flower applique. Will you all let the cleaning Brownies know to come here tonight please? I have fabric every where and I can't find a thing. My next big project is going to be a Family Tree for Mom's 80th Birthday in May. I am going to put a tree on some light green or maybe a yellow back ground, and then start adding the "leaves" Drat if she didn't go and have 8 kids, that is going to be a lot of leaves for me to make! Any suggestions?

Nancia I want to learn how to do that decorative stitch binding by machine, sometimes I spend more time on binding that on the quilt top or the quilting!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 AM

MT, no name In salvage ? Had the daisies a long time
Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 AM

Kiffie, try the quilting by machine. stitch in the ditch, then fmq. or just go slow real slow and you can do it fmq. Once you start you will realize how FAST it is, especially on something smaller like this. zoom zoom zoom

Jaba, that still is pretty daisey fabric. no name on the end? ahhhh!! super pretty. Its happy fabric that is what it is. Mary love your sneak peak can't wait to see the whole peak!! oh wait thats not a peak that is a TADA!

Binding is not the most fun part of any quilt. Sewing it on? easy. getting those corners square.. well I think it could be easier than it is but I for one gave up on getting that right and go for its done! I still can not get that totally blind stitch on the back like you do Jaba. I tried putting that needle deep into the batting like you said, I take a tiny piece up into the very edge of the binding and back straight down and under into the batting and up tiny piece of edge and what shows is that well you have seen it.. stitch on the very edge no matter how small it is. One day but for now it holds the binding down nicely, will hold through a wash and well.. its better than it was a year ago is all I can say. Today I hope to unveil my two finished quilts. I am taking my ruby's boom quilt to clinic and if I can do it will do the whole binding today before my hands cramp. cramping is part of the joy of dialysis yipppeee! sheesh right? worst are the ankle cramps, my foot has this thing where it starts twising to the side and up at an angle it has never before seen. A nurse massaging the ankle trying to force it straight to help reduce the cramp I am at that moment not feeling very lady like and its not a pretty site. Oh the language that whispers out of these lips that I eat with. yikes. And the best part is you get about.. 15 seconds from oh no its going to cramp to full blown if it bends up any more sideways like that it will snap off.. yeah. Sorry just remembered it happened on Sat. crossing fingers it skips today. got a quilt to finish. no time for that boloney!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 AM

PS Marybeth: not feeling sorry for you. you get to see your grandbaby AND go to a quilt shop? oh whine away why don't ya? and pick up that room. There is no reason for your sewing room to get out of control. oh wait you said a package is on its way to someone? me???? that kinda someone??? ah no its for Vanogay. shoot. you could redirect it here she might not notice. look Vanogay! A puppy! (snagging package someone run for me)
Old 03-12-2013, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by dabbler312 View Post
GRRRRRR - binding puts me in a bind.
This is the method I use http://www.made-by-rae.com/2010/10/r...ting-tutorial/ (it's down the page a bit) I was only doing pillowcase binding until I found this, and I LOVE it, it's so easy!

Of course, I still have to learn to do 'real' binding... eventually.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 AM

Mary Mazz....since I got to see the whole table topper, I can tell your partner she is going to love it. I know what beautiful work you do.
I am all set to mail, once my partner is ready. Regarding the binding, I'm one of those crazy folks that actually likes to hand sew the binding on....although, I have to say this was my first time putting a binding on a hexagon (whoops, big hint going out), and it was a little challenging. I wish I wasn't so annul retentive some times. But I think it came out pretty nice. Gotta have those nice mitered edges...lol.

Can't wait to see all the other toppers.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 AM

Binding was giving me fits - there are too many turns and well you get the picture - they're not perfect but then neither am I; I only need to make a label and it's out of here. Next!

Thank you all for your comments and encouragement.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM

Elisabrat, tell that to my boyfriend. He says just put him out & he'll learn quick. He wants me to make him go live with his dad and his grandparents.

Dusty never did cowboy boots. He preferred to be a mailman or fireman. My ex's mom has a stool type plant stand that has a little cabinet with door under the pedestal. Dusty always used that as her mailbox. He'd wrap things up in washcloths or whatever layered clothes he had handy that he could whip off without getting cold and put them it in her mailbox. (Thankfully as much as my child loved to be naked, I never had a problem with him keeping his clothes on, lol.) He'd grab our purses and put them on like a mail pack and walk around making "deliveries".