Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I WANT a LA - but where to put it?  They are huge! >
  • I WANT a LA - but where to put it? They are huge!

• I WANT a LA - but where to put it? They are huge!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:23 AM

My LA is in our master bedroom. It was the only room in the house big enough to hold the 14' frame, other than the living room. Hubby was o.k. with it. Wish I had a basement to put her in along with all of my sewing stuff. As it is I've pretty much taken over 3 rooms with my quilting. It works but it sure would be nice to have everything in one space. It would help if I would stop buying fabric!
    Old 03-18-2013, 01:05 PM

I used the guest room. I have my own table for my HQ16. I am able to slide the trundle bed under my table and use the room as a studio. When I do have guests I just move around my sewing cabinet and other sewing items and pull out the bed. After all, all they need is a place to sleep.

It is comfortable. I used it when my son and his wife visited so they could have the double bed in the master bedroom.
    Old 03-18-2013, 01:30 PM

I know some people who converted their garage. I converted our formal living/dining room area, since we had another eating area and living area.
    Old 03-18-2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by bigredharley
    I'm not seeing how the guest room would work, it's 14x14, so wouldn't be able to move around it.
    I have my LA on a 10ft frame. My long arm room is 10x14. It goes along the 14 ft wall with 2 ft on either side. It's maybe 2 ft away from the back wall. I have plenty of room to move around. I've even got my design wall on the opposing wall and have enough room to step back and look at my work. If I really feel like I need to, I can go behind the LA to look at the design wall. Sometimes you have to work with the space you've got.

My other sewing stuff (DSM, cutting table, ironing board etc.) is in another room, also 10x14. DH and I have been talking about maybe building a separate studio in the back yard, but that probably wouldn't happen anytime soon so for now, I'm content with the space I have.
    Old 03-18-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by bigredharley
    I don't want to give up my guest room, and hubby says I can't take over the photography studio, so that rules out all non-essential rooms in the house. Where do I put one?
    Have you thought about a Sweetsixteen sitdown machine? Or the Bailey? They don't take up much more room tan a machine table
    Old 03-18-2013, 06:00 PM

My first time here but I have to tell you I now have a Juki and 10 ft frame in my........entry hall. lol Everyone who visits comes to the back door so my 10 x 6 entry hall is juuuussst big enough. In fact, my new babylock crown jewel was shipped today and if it is too loud, then I dare my hubby to clean out the junk building and I will gladly move. I also have 2 sewing machines in my great room that is semi open to the entry hall. I use the dining table to do my cutting and it all works fine. Where there is a will, there is a way.
    Good luck to you
    Old 03-18-2013, 08:39 PM

I put mine in the family room in the basement. We weren't using it for anything but a storage room since the kids left for college. Now my LA calls it home.
    Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 AM

I'm going to look at one of these this weekend. You will have to let me know how you like it!

Originally Posted by karenann2013
    My first time here but I have to tell you I now have a Juki and 10 ft frame in my........entry hall. lol Everyone who visits comes to the back door so my 10 x 6 entry hall is juuuussst big enough. In fact, my new babylock crown jewel was shipped today and if it is too loud, then I dare my hubby to clean out the junk building and I will gladly move. I also have 2 sewing machines in my great room that is semi open to the entry hall. I use the dining table to do my cutting and it all works fine. Where there is a will, there is a way.
    Good luck to you
    Old 03-19-2013, 01:49 AM

looked at the "sit down" machines where you move the fabric, and I'm not that coordinated. I figure with a "big" LA I can use templates and trace my way through until I can get the hang of it.
    Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 AM

Basement and then the extra bedroom. Longarm is the family room in the basement and extra bedroom is a sewing room in the basement too. We never used the family room and it is a great la room. Just go for it. Where ever you can put the machine. If you cannot fit a full la into your home, look at one of the other models.