Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
my first quilt, an exercise in patience >

my first quilt, an exercise in patience

my first quilt, an exercise in patience

Old 03-17-2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
good NIGHT woman! your first quilt? yup you took on a challenge but it is going to be AMAZING when you are done. i love the color choices and i cannot offer any advice, i think you have this one under control! fantastic use of positive attitude...every 4th one which i call a win...
congrats on what you have completed so far! its going to be stunning!
dont think I could have said it any better!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:53 AM

To answer some questions:
It is a Derek Lockwood pattern called Starburst (http://www.lockwoodquilts.com/store/...starburst.html)
It has instructions for paper piecing and regular piecing (I'm doing regular piecing)
It uses a ton of fabric because it is a king sized quilt. There are 10 different colors used, ranging from 1/2 yard to 7.5 yards for the black background. I think the total yardage was about 16 yards, but that's just a guess because I'm too lazy to go find that page of the pattern and add it all up.

I'll add this stuff to the original post, so it can help others.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:00 AM

Nice quilt! I am very impressed that this your first one. My first big quilt was a huge disaster that I took apart. Keep at it, you are doing fine. Gina
Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 AM

What a wonderful quilt and so great of you to do this for her .
Old 03-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful!,
Old 03-23-2013, 07:41 PM

Nice work on the quilt. Lovin it!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 PM

Well it may be your first Quilt but it is going to be Gorgeous, you are doing a Great job. Can not wait to see it finished.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:00 PM

I was just directed to this thread because I was asking for advice on this very pattern... Wow! Yours is gorgeous A friend purchased the kit a few years ago and then was afraid of it. So she asked if I would consider making the top for her in return for her doing some quilting for me. I told her I would bring it home and look it over. Needless to say, I find it quite daunting. My pattern (and kit) does not have a PP option. Just all those templates (which I started to create today)

I am going to try it with some of my lesser valued stash before I ever cut into her fabric. I would love to have some virtual hand-holding and someone available to ask advice if I hit a snag. Can I beg, pretty please...
Old 04-17-2013, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by DeneK View Post
I was just directed to this thread because I was asking for advice on this very pattern... Wow! Yours is gorgeous A friend purchased the kit a few years ago and then was afraid of it. So she asked if I would consider making the top for her in return for her doing some quilting for me. I told her I would bring it home and look it over. Needless to say, I find it quite daunting. My pattern (and kit) does not have a PP option. Just all those templates (which I started to create today)

I am going to try it with some of my lesser valued stash before I ever cut into her fabric. I would love to have some virtual hand-holding and someone available to ask advice if I hit a snag. Can I beg, pretty please...
Yes! I would love a quilting buddy for this project! I had to put mine on hold because we moved and my machine broke, but I'm all settled now and was going to start it again this weekend. I'm kind of learning as I go, but I would be happy to answer any questions you have. Feel free to PM me anytime.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:17 AM

First quilt???? Good heavens, I can't wait to see your 10th....a quilter of 20 or 30 years would hesitate to make this one, and you did it for your first one. I'm so impressed! Great job, and your sister is going to LOVE it!