Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh!  What Did I Do? >

Oh! What Did I Do?

Oh! What Did I Do?

Old 04-01-2013, 05:32 AM

I have entered 3 quilts [one per year] in our local fair. The first year , received a second place ribbon. I didn't come to listen to the judging. The next two years I went.Each quilt got a blue ribbon.
At our fair, you are able to set at the judging table[ mute] and listen to all items being judged.Yours and everybody elses.What a great learning experience this is.
Originally, I thought my quilt would be judged up against another quilter who has won 'Best of Show' like 4 times. In this fair it was not like that[ only when it came time to pick the item the judge enjoyed most].Oterwise my quilts earned the ribbon they recieved. All items recieved ribbons.Experienced quilters and all inbetween. The judge didn't know who did what and looked over produce and commented on several things;points matching, how flat the item layed, was she pressd as each seam was completed,how short were the stitches on the binding; was it wavy. This was so very interesting;and what great fun.
Don't be scared,just enjoy being able to share your love of quilting.
It takes all of us to put on a show.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:34 AM

I think you should be proud to show your quilt. Just having it up hanging is a huge thing- it will inspire other people.

If you don't want it judged, just throw away the judging sheets without looking at them. You don't need to read the comments!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
IMHO, I know I'm not that great a quilter and usually know exactly what torture I put a quilt through to get it finished. I love to enter even my most lowly quilt and stand right in front of it and condemn it right along with everyone and they never know it is my quilt. I will also do the reverse and praise one of my better works. All anonymous of course.

I just can't be serious about others peoples judgements of me or my work. How do they know I'm not a one armed, one eyed paraplegic. Life is to short. (This is not saying people with any situation in their life can't accomplish great work or that it shouldn't be expected of those that work around the norm).

I would also bet that all these award winning quilts that travel around the world are made by people who see all their mistakes and can't even imagine how it could win any award. This is me choking!

have fun, you know how wonderful your quilt is to you.
peace
Hurrah, I love your attitude and your comments gave me my big morning laugh. Thank you for both.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:10 AM

When and where is the show being held. Thanks Char
Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 AM

Go for the showing. Only a very few people will be there to judge it and it will bring joy to hundreds.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:27 AM

Perhaps your show has a 'display only' category. That way, your quilt can be in the show and not judged - just displayed. I've put several in shows - some got ribbons, some not, but I've found that even though the judges did put down what they thought were faults of your quilt (I'm betting you already know what they are), they also write down what they liked about your quilt - which is always nice to hear. It's your decision of course, but I'm willing to bet you're harder on yourself than the judges might be!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 AM

Have someone else read the judges sheet for you, and take all comments as constructive criticism! No matter what they say, you love to quilt so hopefully anything they say will just make you a better quilter!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 AM

Show it and let it be judged. A good judge will only give constructive ideas, not critisim. That's the attitude you need to have. And remember, no matter how much they try to be neutral their own taste is going to be a factor!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by salederer View Post
Show it and let it be judged. A good judge will only give constructive ideas, not critisim. That's the attitude you need to have. And remember, no matter how much they try to be neutral their own taste is going to be a factor!
Sadly, there are also bad judges out there.

If you aren't interested in being 'judged'- I'd throw the sheets out without reading them. I've seen a slew of blog posts lately with downright rude remarks from judges
Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 AM

C'mon! If you hear 1 negative comment it will ruin the enjoyment you get from quilting? Really? If someone says something negative, take it with a grain of salt and move on! If the judges have comments about your quilt, you may learn something that you wouldn't have the chance to learn otherwise. Why assume this will be a negative situation. You are going into this situation assuming it will be terrible, who knows it might be positive feedback. If 1 comment has soooo much power over you, how do you get anything done in life? I have a friend much like you, she is so worried about things she has no control over. Why worry about something you can't control. Give it a chance, you might have fun.