Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using wooly nylon thread for decorative stitches >

Using wooly nylon thread for decorative stitches

Using wooly nylon thread for decorative stitches

Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 AM

Default Using wooly nylon thread for decorative stitches

I am quilting a scrappy quilt using my sewing machine decorative stitches (looks great!). I tried using wooly nylon thread and I love the appearance. Using a larger needle and my top tension at 6.5, I get a really nice stitch, however, I have had a real problem with the bobbin thread bunching up into "cotton balls", and I have to stop and clean this up really often. What is the secret to sewing with wooly thread? Apparently it has its uses, otherwise it wouldn't be on the market???? Any tips would be appreciated. In retrospect, I believe I bought this thread to use with my serger....
Old 04-01-2013, 10:57 AM

The onlly thing I've ever used it for was (1) my serger and (2) in the bobbin when I used a twin needle. There may be other uses that I hanven't heard of.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:12 PM

I have only heard of it being used on a serger. Not sure your sewing machine is built to handle that. The only time I have seen a thicker thread used it was hand wound on a bobbin - I think it was a Ricky Timms Razzle Dazzle thread
Old 04-01-2013, 04:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Try using a Universal or Jersey/Ballpoint or Stretch needle 80/12 with wooly nylon thread.
Try using a fine bobbin thread - in a pinch I have used 60 weight Mettler cotton thread or even fine silk thread.
Check your top tension to see that it is pulling the bobbin thread to the top more than in the reverse.

There's a marvelous little book by In Cahoots called "Point Well Taken -The Guide to Success with Needles and Threads" that is my go to bible for all things in this area.

Jan in VA

If the wooly nylon continues to bother you, look for some Jeans Stitch thread from YLI; great colors and has a nice finish on quilting projects. Use with above bobbin thread and TopStitching or Embroidery needle 90/14.

Last edited by Jan in VA; 04-01-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:20 PM

Thank you very much. I will be giving this thread a second chance today. Quiltstrings: I wound some on a bobbin by hand and gave it a brief try using my regular thread on top. No bunching of the bobbin thread, but it was not a prolonged session, and I did not have time to change my top thread to match the bobbin. Maybe handwinding will do the trick; we'll see. Jan: All your suggestions sound great and will try all of them. I do have ballpoint/stretch needles, and I also have some fine bobbin thread on hand. will let you know the results.... LeeJay