Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting? >

Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting?

Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 AM

My finger nails are the worst. Always torn and split. I use that little tupperware citrus scorer/peeler to finger press my seams.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM

Magnetic screw bowls for pins; curved and straight small needle nose pliers; scissor sharpener; step stool; step ladder, insolation boards (2, each 4'x8') for quilting wall; long screwdrivers (both styles); dinner plates of various sizes (for circles); gardening gloves with rubbery nubs to help hold fabric when stitching; towel covered pillow on the far end of my quilting table to keep the dog out of the way; heavy cardboard tubes for rolling quilts on while quilting; graft paper for designing (especially appliques); Dover Press coloring books for florals, animals, central designs, Indian art; Just bought an overpriced drawer set from Joann's (using a 40% off coupon) to hold all my tools; sort-of-clear plastic drawer sets for small fabric pieces (I sort by color, don't cut); matching cardboard boxes labeled and put on a high shelf to hold not so often used themed or unusual fabrics (includes baby prints now that g-kids are getting older); see through small plastic stackable boxes for color pens, crayons, commercial bindings, clips (wonderful clips from Harbor Freight that hold my sandwich in place before sewing);..... in other words, if something doesn't work well, DH and I (or a friend) come up with something that makes things easier. As I age my arthritis gets worse, but I could not sew at all w/out my curved nose small pliars and gardening gloves. I use them constantly!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by collady View Post
I use a fine, soft bristled artist's paint brush to clean my sewing machine. I clean the feeddogs and bobbin chase every time I change the bobbin. It keeps the machine running great and is easier to use than the "mini" bottle brush that came with the machine.
also carry mine with me when I am dusting to get into those little corners and to dust nic-knacks.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree View Post
Curious. What is duck tape? Quack Quack. I think you meant duct tape. (The multi-purpose sticky stuff that will remove warts but does not mend broken hearts)
Duck tape is the new Duct tape.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 PM

This is one is recently posted but thought I would do so again for those that missed it.

A metal bar recycled from a hanging file folder makes a great pressing bar for preparing bias applique stems. Center the bar on a strip of fabric, spray the fabric with starch, and press the long edges over the bar. Repeat the process along the entire strip, then remove the bar and cut the pressed strip into the lengths needed for the stems.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:09 AM

Oh, I forgot my newest gagit, a rachet set with several screw heads that fits into spaces about an inch high which DH got me, for very little, from Harbor Freight. It is perfect for getting the bobbin plate off (esp. if you have arthritis!).
Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 AM

[QUOTE=Gannyrosie;5965281]I don't know what it's called, but my daughter who took Japanese and Chinese, used this very thin paper with small grid lines inside of large grid lines, and the sheets are about 12x18, she used them to practice her writing, but now i use them to graph my quilts and copy patterns, they are like onion skin.

That paper is called vellum and it isn't really "paper". I use it all the time for designing quilts. It erases repeatedly very well (use a white art eraser). It costs more than paper, but you can keep changing what you are doing so you end up reusing the same page over and over, unless you don't need to keep adjusting your pattern to achieve perfection :>) . I find I have to go to a business supply store too get it. I think, due to computer enhanced drawings it is not so easily found as it was. You can design a pattern for an entire quilt top on this 18x12" piece, and when it is as perfect as you can make it, take it to Staples (or some such place) and for very little they will blow it up to the size you really want it to be on your quilt top. They also can do it from a photo on your iphone. That way you have your unique pattern complete!

Hmm, that's one more thing I forgot to add to this thread!

Last edited by Sierra; 04-03-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:24 AM

[QUOTE=Sierra;5974876]
Originally Posted by Gannyrosie View Post
I don't know what it's called, but my daughter who took Japanese and Chinese, used this very thin paper with small grid lines inside of large grid lines, and the sheets are about 12x18, she used them to practice her writing, but now i use them to graph my quilts and copy patterns, they are like onion skin.

That paper is called vellum and it isn't really "paper". I use it all the time for designing quilts. It erases repeatedly very well (use a white art eraser). It costs more than paper, but you can keep changing what you are doing so you end up reusing the same page over and over, unless you don't need to keep adjusting your pattern to achieve perfection :>) . I find I have to go to a business supply store too get it. I think, due to computer enhanced drawings it is not so easily found as it was. You can design a pattern for an entire quilt top on this 18x12" piece, and when it is as perfect as you can make it, take it to Staples (or some such place) and for very little they will blow it up to the size you really want it to be on your quilt top. They also can do it from a photo on your iphone. That way you have your unique pattern complete!

Hmm, that's one more thing I forgot to add to this thread!
Thanks Sierra, never thought of getting them blown up. Adding note in file.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
swim noodle to wrap my finished quilt top arround after final pressing ... until i can layer it with back and batting and then whole thing rolled around noodle till i quilt it
Like this idea. thanks for sharing.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:13 AM

I have a pair of long tweesers from the ER (they throw them away after one use) to reach "fuzzies" and such in my machine. I also have a pair of hemeostats and long handled, short bladed sissors from the ER as well. I work in a hospital!
D