Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP my 1st quilt >

HELP my 1st quilt

HELP my 1st quilt

Old 04-04-2013, 06:03 AM

I love black and white . love your pattern. our quilt club did a project where we were to exchange and have others do a strip and pass it on to another. Since I am new I did follow all the rules for the project but felt that I should not work on any other persons project. So did my own For my accent color I used what I would call tangerine. When finished they all said I passed with flying colors. It still needs to be quilted. Will post a picture when it is finished. It is 44 x 68 They said I should be proud of my work. I guess I am.
I have also embroidered "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" in blue. Well, I used transferease when I put the squares in water to dissolve the transfereease some of the blue bled. Now what do I do? troubles, troubles.
again love your pattern
Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
Sashing is very forgiving if your lines aren't perfect. I would choose a grey sashing and then add a bright colour as posts.
I second this idea using different bright colors for the posts.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 AM

Something I enjoy is to take a picture with different auditions of color & block placement etc. I can see it from a different "eye", if you will. I also like to download it & look at it on my screen. It really helps.. also taking a break & looking at it the next day on the design wall. (Isn't it great we get to look at our pics now without getting them developed?)
Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 AM

I love your idea of using a color that is a favorite of the person you are making it for. But do a bright variation of that shade so it does't get lost.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 AM

I would consider black sashing, but inset white squares so that the white lines continue across from one block to the next. Just depends on whether you want a black & white quilt, or if you want to add color. For the border, I might go for another black & white print - more black than white. If you want to add color, looks like you've got lots of suggestions already that would be great
Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 AM

Hi, Something like a muted burgandy would be nice, nothing too bright I would say
Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 AM

Stay with your first plan, the white sashing. That will make it really pop. froggyintexas
Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 AM

small black and white polka dots..Just my humble opinion
Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Very pretty blocks. You could really use just about any color, although, red is my favorite. Let us see after you have chosen what color, OK.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 AM

I'd use solid black for the sashing with pure white cornerstones, the same width as the white crosses in the blocks. The cornerstones would connect the blocks forming a lattice all over the quilt, and the black would accent the blocks so you would then get a secondary pattern. Be sure to put the sashing around the outside of the blocks as well as between them, before adding borders. For borders I would use a black and white print to draw the eye outward... then finish with black binding. Black and white is so classic it does not need to have any color added and will match with any color accessories. If it were mine, I'd stick with just black and white, then if I wanted a pop of color I'd add a red pillow or such. That's my choice, but you can't go wrong however you do it. Great job.