Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles >

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Old 04-05-2013, 03:33 PM

I like the tag gun, but I don't use it for basting. I am thinking that we buy these things,gadgets and try them and then pass what we don't like on to others. We all like different stuff, what doesn't work for us may work just great for others!
I do like my fabric weights, but I just made them myself with pennies in a pouch. I try to be careful these days.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

About the mini clover irons, the first ones made. They have to be heated about a half dozen times before they reach top temp. Once the top temp is reached then it get hot from then on and it gets very hot. DH tried to explain it to me but I got bored, only know he was right. LOL

Last edited by BellaBoo; 04-05-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

I bought that stupid "add a quarter" ruler that is only 1/4" wide because it was on the supplies list for a paper piecing class.
??? The add a quarter ruler for pp has a 1/4" lip on the back of the ruler. The ruler is much wider then 1/4". Here is what the ruler looks like:

If you have this one it is not for pp.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:21 PM

Never use my Add a 1/4" ruler...wasted money. Worst thing ever bought were rotary cutting blades at Harbor Freight. I know some of you love them, but I've had 6 packs (all bought at different times) and none of them are sharp.

I like to bring my "unloved" to my quilt guild where we swap for gizmos that we want or need. We do this with fabric as well.

Just my opinion....

Anita
Old 04-05-2013, 04:36 PM

A plastic cone holder. It falls over every time you try to use it. Now I have a homemade one out of a plant saucer and welding rod that hubby made for me. It even has a spindle for filled bobbins. I love it.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
A plastic cone holder. It falls over every time you try to use it. Now I have a homemade one out of a plant saucer and welding rod that hubby made for me. It even has a spindle for filled bobbins. I love it.

I threw my plastic cone holder away the same week I bought it! Now I use a coffee cup and it works like a charm!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM

Prism, thanks for answering me..
Old 04-05-2013, 05:47 PM

Ditto on the blue twisty rotary blade sharpener. Unfortunately, I also got sucked into an electric sharpener with stones ... haven't been able to get it to work either.

Bought a rotating cutting mat; don't find it useful

Printable "fabric" for labels, from Joann's. It's like vinyl! Not pleasant to touch at all.

And last, I bought an attachment for my Janome that's supposed to let you sew a perfect circle. It was very expensive for what it is, and leaves kind of a big hole in the fabric at the pivot point. Lots of folks have talked about using a thumbtack taped to the table with a piece of cork; that would probably work better and will be what I try the next time I need it.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:57 PM

My list would be the John Flynn frame, the Quilter's Calculator and another machine quilting frame you screwed to a table. I forget what that one was called. I did use the Flynn frame to do some hand quilting and tying a couple of quilts but I can't hand quilt anymore.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 PM

Freckles48
I use a popcorn tin for my binding. Just roll it up and put it in the tin. Has plenty of room to move around in and tin stays in one spot .. Also keep all unused pieces in there and when finished just pop the lid on till next time.