Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles >

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Old 04-06-2013, 11:46 AM

Ok lets look at a positive side... we all have bought things we thought we just could not live without lesson learned. Now let me tell you how to replace some of those things with items you have at home already.............first the binding spool around the neck I never liked that so lucky I didn't buy one but what I do have and can't live with out is a Cheddar Ball Jar. You know the kind that you buy at the store full of puffed chesse or popcorn, well I bought one, the kids ate the puffed cheese and I kept the jar. Hubby slit a square on the plastic lid. Now I take it to the ironing board as I iron my binding it falls into the jar then I pull the last end of binding through the hole he cut and snap the lid back on......wala.....I put the jar on the floor next to me and sew the binding. It doesn't get turned around or choke me either and it also serves as a container to save your bias strips to make blocks. The only thing that I wore out on my jar was the lid so I just go buy another one and I am happy again. Now about the pins........I don't like the teeny tiny pins but I do like the flat head pins or the one's with the yellow head and at times they do get blunt so I just run it through my hair (works really good it you have an oily head) and this resharpens the pins. Grandma use to do this all the time. I also like the binding clips that you buy at the hair salon supply store but I have gotten very spoiled and like the new clover clips. Have I ever bought things I shouldn't have or didn't need yes I have but as everyone sometimes we just get carried away with the gusto of quilt shows and sellers. Hope this helps. Live and learn.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Ahh Mackenzie! Did I ever get a great laugh out of your post. WOULD that we COULD put our butts on the guild auction! How wonderful......get rid of your unwanted butts! Lol.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:34 PM

I have to say that I bought one of the fabric covered pressing sticks and if you are talking about what I bought it is one of the best purchases I've ever made. As a matter of fact on Pinterest you can see how to make them for yourself. I am in the process of making about 30 of them to give as gifts at a quilting retreat I am part of. I can hardly wait to give them away because I know the participants will be so thrilled to have them after they see how they are used and how beautifully a seam can be pressed open or to one side!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:45 PM

My daughter has the Aqququilt and we both enjoy using it. She has the tumbler which is difficult to cut without the aqququilt go. It is a little pricey but save so much time and is so accurate. I have bought some of the other dies from
"Sew for Less" and their prices are very reasonable. Consider the Half square triangle, 1 1/2" strip and the 2 1/2" strips which we use alot. Good luck with it. Joanne
Old 04-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by cbjlinda View Post
would love to know if any of you have the auiquilt go baby and if you think it is worth the price of the machine with the dies. I am thinking about getting one but just not sure if the price of the dies make it worth the investment.
I bought the Accuquilt Go. I have the die that came with it and the tumbler die. Although I have used it and do like it...the dies are expensive. I keep waiting for the 2 1/2" strip die to go on sale, but it doesn't ever seem to do that. I think that is one die that I would use on every quilt for the binding. I think people that do a lot of applique probably really like it.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

I love Pinmoors! If you can't get a pin into with ease then your pins are probably the fault. I use glass head fine patchwork pins for all my pinning and they go in the Pinmoor like butter and stay there until I take them out.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:26 PM

Good thread! Useless purchases for me were the Flynn frame, Quilter's Calculator and gift of a cutter called something like an Accucutter or Accuquilter??? I love my Sidewinder. Several rulers were duds. When I first started quilting a new quilter friend pointed out several times that gadgets I wanted to buy were just like things I already owned, but were used in a different way, for example. I started to really check things out before purchasing and I saved a lot of money. I really appreciate how clever and careful she is with gadgets. My biggest money waste has been books or patterns which I have not used.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
That is so funny! I actually use a toilet paper roll with a length of selvage 'string' thru it as a necklace to roll my binding onto, and love how it keeps it straight and neat.

Jan in VA
I too use an empty toilet paper roll, but use a neon green shoelace to hang it around my neck. It works great.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:42 PM

I think that I would have asked for my $$ back rather than buy more fabric for the class. What is wrong with a person who thinks that only his or her taste is good? The quilt class teacher wasn't going to have to live with the finished product - you were.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by julie View Post
sidewinder bobbin winder. Worked great the first few times, then zip, nada. sits on the shelf in the box.
Same here so I gave it away. Sometimes it will work and sometimes not. Won't work for my new Viking anyway.