Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles >
  • Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

• Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    Oh just my thoughts. But a friend always says she wouldn't be without hers. There must have been either a good batch made or a bad batch. I know where mine came from
    I don't have a bobbin winder, but was told that the battery operated ones don't work. I was told to buy the electric one which is more expensive, but works. Just wondering if the quilters that are saying it doesn't work have the battery one or the electric one?
    Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
    I would love to have Machingers, but they have latex in them. I have an allergy to latex, we even have to be careful with bandaids, because the latex in them will scar me worse than most of the cuts they're meant to cover. I'm stuck with F&P or garden gloves.

My biggest "mistake" so far seems to be geting intersted in the vintage machines, I spend so much time rehabbing and rehoming them, that I don't seem to find the time to quilt.
    Tammi, try dry board erasers. Here is the thread I posted about them. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...p-t216340.html

Ditto about vintage sewing machines.
    Old 04-07-2013, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie B
    I don't have a bobbin winder, but was told that the battery operated ones don't work. I was told to buy the electric one which is more expensive, but works. Just wondering if the quilters that are saying it doesn't work have the battery one or the electric one?
    I think mine is the battery operated one. But it came with an adapter that plugs into the wall. It works great! Much cheaper than getting the bobbin winder on my machine fixed. Plus you don't have to unthread the machine to use it, when you run out of bobbin thread in the middle of sewing.
    Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by margecam52
    those self threading needles "As seen on TV"...ugh...won't even go through a single layer of fabric.
    Good one -- I agree. I have found another type ... I think they are Clover ... that do work well. They have a notch at the top that you pop the thread into. You have to be careful with fragile threads, tho (like Sulky). You can get them at Leah Day's web site: http://www.daystyledesigns.com/cheaterneedles.htm
    Old 04-07-2013, 11:07 AM

Actually I first saw the tutorial on Quilting Board and repinned to Pinterest. Look for pressing bar. I modified the instructions a bit. I don' t think Insulbrite or any type of batting is necessary. I first used Elmer's all purpose glue and wrapped the stick (I'm using 12" length) with flannel then with some duck fabric I had left over from another project. Pressed under the ends of the duck ( not the flannel because that is not necessary) 1/4" and sewed on the machine. Then pressed one long side under 1/4" and wrapped and glued this on with Elmer's as well. My husband put 5 staples along the edge for me because I'm a little wimpy with hand strength. The cut size of the flannel is 3&1/8" by11&3/4". The duck is 3&3/4" (this is the edge that gets turned and sewn) by 12&3/4". The one I bought and paid big bucks for had what appears to be a very thin batting and just muslin for the out cover. My friends said they liked the duck better than the muslin but whatever you have will work. I also had some decorator weight cotton left from another project and covered some with that. I am calling them "designer" pressing sticks! I'd send you one if I knew who and where. But I'm sure you could make one yourself and I guarantee it will become a favorite quilting gadget!
    Old 04-07-2013, 11:28 AM
    Power Poster

Here is a link to the strip stick (pressing bar):
    http://thestripstick.com/buy_products

I bought them and really like them. As far as I can tell, they are half-round trim (lots of hardware stores have quarter-round trim; it can be harder to find half-round) covered with muslin that is serged on one long end and the two short ends. (I think it would be hard to do this on my home serger; the serging is very close to the wood and very precise.) I don't think there is any batting underneath the muslin, but maybe an extra layer of muslin or flannel as the muslin is not see-through. Someone posted that they didn't even bother to cover their half-round stick with cloth and it still worked great. The only thing is that wood contains acid, so covering the wood with cloth would be more protective of your strips.
    Old 04-07-2013, 11:37 AM

Accuquilt Go is the best thing for my piecing ever! Accurate and fast. I love it for strips - no more waste, and I can cut the entire border in a couple minutes! Ditto for binding. No more excuses to not finish quilts. And HSTs are sooooo easy with the dog ears already cut off. I cut them with RST, lift them off the die and place right on the sewing machine. I set up the GO right next to the sewing machine when I'm doing HSTs - no wasted motion.
    Old 04-07-2013, 04:32 PM
    DJ

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Here is a link to the strip stick (pressing bar):
    http://thestripstick.com/buy_products

I bought them and really like them. As far as I can tell, they are half-round trim (lots of hardware stores have quarter-round trim; it can be harder to find half-round) covered with muslin that is serged on one long end and the two short ends. (I think it would be hard to do this on my home serger; the serging is very close to the wood and very precise.) I don't think there is any batting underneath the muslin, but maybe an extra layer of muslin or flannel as the muslin is not see-through. Someone posted that they didn't even bother to cover their half-round stick with cloth and it still worked great. The only thing is that wood contains acid, so covering the wood with cloth would be more protective of your strips.
    Thank you!
    Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 PM

I did a double quilt with mine and ended with blisters that prevented me from sewing for more than a week. I use it for things like place mats now, but I don't use it for anything larger.
    [QUOTE=MimiBug123;5979791]
    Originally Posted by Diannia
    One of those red gun thingies for basting a quilt. Got it at WalMart...what a waste (at least for me).

I totally agree on this one. The little plastic things that you "shot" through the quilt were toolong to keep all the layers in place. I tried it a few times and the layers kept shifting. Another great idea shot to hades!
    Old 04-07-2013, 05:16 PM

I bought the True Sharp electric rotary blade sharpener. If that is the one you purchased, let me know. I have not been successful in sharpening them. Sometimes I get a blade sharp but it has a place or two that do not cut.