Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What batting should I use to make tablerunners and table toppers lay flat? >

What batting should I use to make tablerunners and table toppers lay flat?

What batting should I use to make tablerunners and table toppers lay flat?

Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 AM

I use flannel. However, I wash and dry it first. So far it's worked ok.
If one layer of flannel isn't enough to suit you, try two or more.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:13 AM

I use Warm and Natural for runners. I like the structure of this batting for runners. It also pre-shrinks well. It important if you want runners to lay as flat as the day you made them to preshrink all the fibers used. A poly bat does not shrink .. but if it was stretched during the sandwich process , it will likely return to its original state once washed and dried.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PumpkinSundae View Post
Hi...actually, I didn't wash the fabrics but I made the tablerunners with a jelly roll and one with a charm pack. Should I wash the top first before I put it together? Thanks everyone!
You really never want to wash a top that is already put together. It is risky because seams can fray and fabrics can shrink at different rates, creating a distorted mess that cannot be ironed perfectly flat again. As long as you use a moderate amount of quilting, the batting takes control of shrinkage when a quilted piece is washed. To keep your tablerunners flat, choose a batting that won't shrink or else totally pre-shrink the batting before layering and quilting. Plus, do a moderate amount of quilting. Minimal quilting may leave fabric pieces that are big enough to shrink independently of each other and the batting.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:28 PM

I've heard of others who have had great success with the following:

"For tablerunners I really like Hobbs Thermore. It's a very thin batting for clothing or other projects without much loft. It sews well. I use fusible spray to hold my batting in place. The loft on the runners is not too great and is unlikely to tip a vase or something else on it. I get it at Hobby Lobby or Joanns with a coupon."

Found at the following site:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...-t68267-2.html

Sometimes my mind can't remember every little name of everything wonderful item I can use in my quilting...so I have to google it! Hahaha

Nan
Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PumpkinSundae View Post
Hi...actually, I didn't wash the fabrics but I made the tablerunners with a jelly roll and one with a charm pack. Should I wash the top first before I put it together? Thanks everyone!
I think this is your answer. THere are many threads on the QB about pre-washing and this is the reason. Small pieces or precuts don't have to be machine washed, just a sink full of water and a touch of soap will do the trick. Toss in the dryer or on a line till damp dry and iron when needed. I put small stuff in a pillow case when drying in dryer. Washing insures NO-SHRINKING!
peace
Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 AM

Would it be okay to tell anyone I give a tablerunner to....to just wash in the sink and let dry without the washer / dryer because I think I might be expecting too much to think a tablerunner is going to go through the washer / dryer without wrinkles and come out perfect...LOL. I would post a picture but I can't out how to to do it. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:30 AM

I have used the Hobbs 80/20 and not had a problem. A granddaughter uses hers all the time and washes them regularly and they still lay flat.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:27 AM
Power Poster

I use felt from Wal Mart to put in my toppers. It seems to work well.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 AM

I use flannel as well. Everything gets prewashed/shrunk before cutting at this house. (Except precuts, of course.)
Old 04-08-2013, 04:14 AM

I don't use anything except Thermore, works wonderfully, very flat but a nice light body. Get it at Connecting Threads when on sale and the package makes quite a few table runners.