Singer301a?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:18 AM

Default Singer301a?

On local craigs list for $135.00. Worth it?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:35 AM

Depends...what's worth it to me might be different for you. Prices are always subjective and with no info. about it or photo, who's to know.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 AM

It seems pricey to me, but if it is in excellent condition, and you have always wanted one, it might be worth going to see and trying out.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:52 AM

Seems high to me as well. There have been a few in my area on CL for between $50-$100 just in the last couple of weeks. If I had more room......
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 PM

I might pay that for one in excellent shape AND clean with all the toys to go with it, especially if it was serviced recently. Here, they typically go for around $100, more if there are toys. (buttonholer, zig zag attachment, all the accessories it should have come with, possibly a nice cabinet or a nice carry case, etc. Pin cushions and old thread don't count. )

If it's attic fresh and you have to do a bunch of cleanup and servicing, not so much. A good cleaning and servicing for me (removing all screwed on bits, and cleaning, and reassembling and adjusting) takes a couple of hours. Your time is worth something.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 PM

They are increasing in price and there's no shipping involved like ebay, so I'd certainly look at it. If it sews as well as mine, you won't be unhappy.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

I sell them for about that after I have cleaned, oiled and adjusted. Some times more if it is really nice. How much does your $50 machine cost plus servicing?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:10 PM

From the sales I've watched, the 301 longbed in the straw case goes for quite a bit more than the machine only 301 shortbed. The black ones seem to go for a bit more, also. Worth is sort of a personal decision. After watching the Singer 15-91 sell for over $900 I don't think I'll put a value on anything unless I'm buying or selling it.

Jon
Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I sell them for about that after I have cleaned, oiled and adjusted. Some times more if it is really nice. How much does your $50 machine cost plus servicing?
About $135 And that's typically not clean, just serviced if done at a shop.

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
From the sales I've watched, the 301 longbed in the straw case goes for quite a bit more than the machine only 301 shortbed. The black ones seem to go for a bit more, also. Worth is sort of a personal decision. After watching the Singer 15-91 sell for over $900 I don't think I'll put a value on anything unless I'm buying or selling it.

Jon
Was there a cabinet that ever fit the long bed? I find it funny that the long bed is so popular, I like the short bed because I find it more versatile. Fits in several cabinets and my customized desk, so I can sew with a flat surface, and it's still portable. I would prefer black, but I don't mind the LBOW color scheme. I can't seem to bond with the mocha though.

I sometimes wonder about auctions like that 15-91. I wonder if the seller got their money in the end, or if they or someone they know were bidding to jack the price up.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

The Mocha 301s seem to be a little better made though. Don't ask me how...