Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Awkward financial situation >

Awkward financial situation

Awkward financial situation

Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

I have learned to take the person that asks me to make a quilt for them to the quilt shop and let them choose the fabric and let them pay for it after they understand I charge 3 1/2 times the cost of fabric for making it. Very seldom does one make it to the cutting table after seeing the cost per yard. LOL
Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 AM

I have some of that fabric and it is some of the beautiful fabric I have ever seen. On another note ...Did you give an indication as to the cost a supplies to the customer prior to construction? As a general rule of business practices... no final bill/invoice should come as a surprise to the customer.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:19 PM

If the quilt is for a good friend and you want to keep it in the friendship vein and not get business-y with it, maybe you could look at materials and get an estimate before you buy anything, giving them a chance to back out if they want to. People who don't sew don't know the cost of fabric, and it's completely understandable when they experience sticker shock - I still do!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:42 PM

Maybe next time give them an approximate cost up front and get a deposit.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:18 PM

Why are you horrified? Why do you feel so uncomfortable? Your friend said no problem, so why are you making this a problem. Quilting is NOT a cheap craft. But what is? Have you checked the cost of yarn for knitting? Not cheap at all. The costs of paints are not cheap either. Fabric is not cheap, nor are threads, backing fabric,batting. You didn't charge anything for your labor,why didn't you charge for labor by the way? Was it because it was for a good friend? If you have made any other quilts, you really shouldn't be so surprised at the costs involved. Please, don't be so upset about this, your friend is O.K. with the cost, why aren't you?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:48 PM

I'm thinking your friend got a really good deal - you should not feel horrified at all. You should feel pleased that you were able to create a work of art for your friend.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM

I always get everything, I mean everything down on paper first. Then I give an estimate, next is either a materials list that they buy or a deposit. If they can't afford the materials, then they can't afford your labor rate.
I once had a customer tell me that my price was too high, I told her that this quilt would take about a week from start to finish. I the said "you work don't you? she responded that yes she did, I then asked her what did she make in a week? She wrote me out a check without another word about price.
Every quilt is a labor of LOVE, and we do not make enough from them, but they are priceless. Don't short yourself.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:03 PM

I would state up front 600 at least for labor and probably 700 for material and quilting. They usually change their mind. I would get some money up front too.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:29 PM

This is why I do quilts for my own enjoyment, not because someone wants a particular one (some family members do have input). Then I give them to whoever I choose to
Old 04-12-2013, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

Can you post a picture of it. I'll bet it was just magnificient. She is lucky to have one like you to make it for her.