Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Grandmothers flower garden help >
  • Grandmothers flower garden help

• Grandmothers flower garden help

Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 AM

I'll just add, mine was 1" hexies as well. Around 6,000 of them.
    Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 AM

Tell me about addictive, I have this little box that take with me everywhere, last week I was setting in the doctors office and my husband said "do you have to do that here", I said yes and if you have a problem with that you should talk to the doctor about it

Love it!

I too am attempting my 1st Grandmother's Garden. Doing it all by hand. Have about decided the hardest part is cutting those little pieces of fabric out. Whew! Still, it's fun putting it together.
    Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 AM

I'm liking the paper hexes and sewed a flower together last night, I can't see the stitches on the front so I guess I'm going to keep doing it the way I am. You have to make the stitches super tiny.
    Old 04-13-2013, 02:59 AM

I am, or rather have been making 1 1/2" hexies for over a year. I keep my fabric squares and papers and everything else I need in a small plastic box so I too can pick it up and make them whenever I go anywhere. I have a ton of flowers make, I am making them with one "ring" around a contrasting center color. I had so many made I wanted to see how they would look being put together so I bought a nice bolt of white fabric and made a bunch of the same pieces in white and began putting them togther. Someday I will post a photo, but that will be when I get further along. I sew mine together by laying one on top of the other, face to face and just whip stitch tiny stitches. The paper piecing instructions say about 10 stitches to sew them together but I don't count, just tiny stitches from end to end. I am using a neutral thread and you can't see any of the stitches. Have fun, I know all the hardwork will be worth it someday! It will most likely be the only quilt I will ever make that will be hand stitched.
    Old 04-13-2013, 03:50 AM

Whatever stitch you use, do not sew too closely together as it weakens the fabric and it will rip easily along the 'perforations'.
    Old 04-13-2013, 05:52 AM

Our quilt club "inherited" a GFG from a woman who started it in 2001. She worked on it until she got MS, and couldn't sew by hand anymore. She had thousands of hexies cut and basted onto the freezer paper templates. There were 15 flowers completed, and the rest in boxes. About 10 ladies from our club are working on this. We put the hexies right sides together and ship stitch. One person did it edges touching on the sewing machine with invisible thread. That worked, too. We've been working on this for about 6 months now, and have most of the flowers with a portion of garden path finished. It will be a pain to sew the rows together, but we'll get it done.
    Old 04-13-2013, 05:54 AM
    Power Poster

This will be one of those plane trip projects. Watched Brandy's video (part of it). Favored it to watch later.
    Old 04-13-2013, 06:28 AM

I made a GFG with 1" Hexagon templets. I was surprised by how much I loved the whole process.
    I sewed them right sides togeather and whipped stitch them togeather. Turned out great. I also took them
    every where.
    Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw
    Our quilt club "inherited" a GFG from a woman who started it in 2001. She worked on it until she got MS, and couldn't sew by hand anymore. She had thousands of hexies cut and basted onto the freezer paper templates. There were 15 flowers completed, and the rest in boxes. About 10 ladies from our club are working on this. We put the hexies right sides together and ship stitch. One person did it edges touching on the sewing machine with invisible thread. That worked, too. We've been working on this for about 6 months now, and have most of the flowers with a portion of garden path finished. It will be a pain to sew the rows together, but we'll get it done.
    I should have added that when the hexies were sewn my machine with invisible thread, a very narrow zig-zag stitch was used. I can do it with my 1/4 inch quilting foot. Just have to crank the machine by hand to make sure the needle clears the foot.
    Also, if you want to take a needle onto an airplane, better ask first. I know knitting needles are not allowed. They're afraid you might knit an Afghan! He He He
    Old 04-13-2013, 07:01 AM

I have gotten the hexie bug, using 1 inch hexies. I buy the paper ones, though. Right now, I am finishing the first 100, and have a lot of fabric cut for more. I have put together 4 "flowers" and love the process. I will be edging then in white, then see what I want to do to finish it. I use the whip stitch for sewing the hexies together, anchoring the thread at each end of the hexie. Last week I took my granddaughter to karate class and did 8 in less than an hour! It is addictive, and I love the results. At least the times I take my granddaughter to her classes are not wasted.