MUG RUG #2 - Closed/Full

Old 04-14-2013, 01:30 AM

I purchased that pigs fly fabric for a memory quilt for a friend who passed from Aids about 20 yrs ago. I just never used the rest .. sorta a memory fabric I guess for me to. I recently sold all the piggys to Auntpigglyn here on the board. it was cute though wasnt it?

razorbacks? razorbacks? sorry girl its CARDINALS here all the way.. but if you asked my daughter its DUCKS .. I can't wait to get my partner and whip up something sweet or goofy depending on who it is be warned I am as goofy as the next one probably a whole lot more. And I am traditional to the bone myself so your safe with me if you like also. Nelco I am so ready lol she is groaning, trying to set up fifty people is no small task. her swaps are huge like booms almost. bet you money she is getting bugged can I please sign up and she will end up giving in and the numbers will swell monsterously. Dont kill yourself you can always have another one and people can join then girl. those that make it in this one can sign up for the new tablerunner swap that will be posted. Just waiting approval from Patrice to get it up. should be today. see a win win?
Old 04-14-2013, 05:36 AM

Love those selvage quilts (especially the bookshelf), but I don't think I have enough fabric with selvages or patience! The other pics from members look great. I want to make mine nice and thin and flat....any suggestions on the right type of batting. My partner last time sent two beautiful ones which where super thin - in a good way. My regular warm & natural is too bumpy.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:28 AM

perfect thin non bumpy batting: fusible. it sticks to your top and back beautifully while your sewing so you can get things really tightly stitched down no bumps. then when you wash it and the fusible is gone you have still a quilt stitched so tightly down that it wont be bumpy
Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 AM

I never save my selvages. They're just not appealing to me when I look at them lying there on my sewing table.

To keep my mug rugs flat, I do 2 things. First, I use a low loft batting, the same that I would use for making placemats, which I always have on hand. I usually buy Poly-fil brand for this, but I like Mountain Mist as well, depending on where I'm shopping when I need to buy it. Second, I rarely bind my mug rugs. I usually sew them pillowcase style and then turn them right side out and sew around the edge.

Oh, I almost forgot what brought me here to begin with! I got this week's special from Joann this morning & they've got FQ's for $.99 each, in store only (online, $1.49, but they only have a few online.) Hmm, I think I need to go to Columbus next weekend!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:32 AM

@elizabrat - fusible? What? I am a newbie you will have to be more specific. Like a light fusible interfacing? I have that...and your saying 2 layers in between? One for the back and one for the front. And then I can pillow style it together rather than binding (i get that part
Old 04-14-2013, 07:50 AM

bummer... somehow i missed this...hopefully i will catch the next one.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 AM

Hi all,
I'm popping in to say "Hi" and introduce myself to the group. I made the cut and I am looking forward to doing something on a small, fast and fun scale.

About me: I've participated in the 2011-2012 Quilt for Quilters swap (my avatar is the quilt I made for my swap partner) and participated in the Monthly Quilting Bee Block Swap. Currently I am in playing in the Row by Row swaps, Groups 6 & 7. Feel free to browse my QB albums over at http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...se-u41137.html

My home is graced with several treadles, including a Davis LAVF with gorgeous decals, a Willcox and Gibbs, plus a few 'heads'. My go-to treadle is my 1926 Singer Red Eye - just love that machine's stitch as well as her sound.

Looking forward to meeting all of you and getting to know my partner. Come on list!

Thank you Nelco for being the swap mother.

best,
d

Last edited by Whigrose; 04-14-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:25 AM

Brat - it's DUCKS all the way for me. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DUCKS. and no everyone has been good. No bugging so far. Hang in there you all will get your names in a few.

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
I purchased that pigs fly fabric for a memory quilt for a friend who passed from Aids about 20 yrs ago. I just never used the rest .. sorta a memory fabric I guess for me to. I recently sold all the piggys to Auntpigglyn here on the board. it was cute though wasnt it?

razorbacks? razorbacks? sorry girl its CARDINALS here all the way.. but if you asked my daughter its DUCKS .. I can't wait to get my partner and whip up something sweet or goofy depending on who it is be warned I am as goofy as the next one probably a whole lot more. And I am traditional to the bone myself so your safe with me if you like also. Nelco I am so ready lol she is groaning, trying to set up fifty people is no small task. her swaps are huge like booms almost. bet you money she is getting bugged can I please sign up and she will end up giving in and the numbers will swell monsterously. Dont kill yourself you can always have another one and people can join then girl. those that make it in this one can sign up for the new tablerunner swap that will be posted. Just waiting approval from Patrice to get it up. should be today. see a win win?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 AM

Whigrose, lucky partner you had, that quilt is beautiful. My husband and I just finished restoring a 1901 Singer treadle and it turned out beautiful, haven't used it yet but it looks good. Don't know if these old legs still have the "motion", they're antique too Welcome to the swap....
Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 AM

Is there still room for me? If so, I want in please