Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ? >

I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:47 AM

wow, I can't believe someone would say this. I am appalled. Hold your chin up, the work you do is incredible as well as everybody else.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:53 AM

All this person did was show how ignorant she is. She should learn the old adage :- If you have nothing positive to say - say nothing. Ignore her and her bad manners and do what makes you happy. Quilt your quilts how you please. ;-
Old 04-16-2013, 03:56 AM

I like STID and use it quite a bit. I like the geometric pattern, the clean lines.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:59 AM

Honestly! I do not understand people sometimes. I was told that a QAYG was not a 'real' quilt either. Go fly a kite!! I quilt in whatever manner I wish and complete whatever style of quilt I wish. They are my quilts- not theirs! And for their information, I do have a hand quilting project on the go at all times, as well as my machine quilting projects. Guess I am a more versatile quilter!! LOL.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:02 AM

There are some people out there that think they know everything about everything when in reality they know squat..SID is just another technique. Don't listen to the self-proclaimed know it all and do what's right for you...
Old 04-16-2013, 04:03 AM

everyone said it very well is the person even a quilter who said that I do my own quilting large quilts in sections because neither can I afford a long armer and putting a quilt together and finishing is the hardest part whether SID or FMQ do what you enjoy and be happy
Old 04-16-2013, 04:12 AM

Well, hey, did the person who said stitch in the ditch is a cop out ever try it? To me, SID is really, really tough to do and have it look good. Who cares what other folks think? Do it the way you want and be proud that it is finished. I'm thinking that person is not a friend to you and not a nice person. Quilters should be encouraged to do it however will get it done.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:13 AM

if someone said that to me, I'd turn it back on them and say, well, this quilt was going to be a gift to you, but since you don't like SID, then I'll just keep it for myself. Turn around, and walk away.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:16 AM

I remember standing in front of a beautifully machine quilted quilt at the Lancaster show in the early '80's and having someone behind me very indignant that the piece was in the show-after all, quilting was a hand made endeavor and 10 stitches per inch was the sought after goal. Today, I think about all of the innovations that have come since machine quilting appeared on the scene-better machines both domestic and frames for domestic machines, longarms, stitch regulators and lots of interesting threads to use. We also have lots of tools and rulers. I love to go to shows and see what others have been able to achieve. On this board we share our achievements and frustrations as we learn to quilt. We all set goals and and pursue them. I have been quilting for 40+ years and I'm still learning new stuff. I'm thankful for machine quilting in all its forms and I appreciate the artistry of each one of you whether you hand quilt or stitch in the ditch!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

This is why I don't belong to my local guild. It's awful how many snobs there are out there. I don't share views of my quilts with anyone but friends and family, and this supportive bunch on the board. I quilt for the fun of it, and to bless my loved ones and charities. Don't let her rattle you, and keep on stitchin': in the ditch, happy all-over meander, or whatever makes you feel fulfilled.

PS, I'm with Lisa Wannab. You tell 'em!