Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ? >

I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

Old 04-16-2013, 04:05 PM

Ignorance is EVERYWHERE. Just do your thing.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:11 PM

I quilt all my own quilts. And Hell yes I'm a quilter. I do the whole quilt from start to finish! I don't judge others that send there's out and I hope the hand quilters don't judge me!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:11 PM

I was told by Cindy Needham that stitching in the ditch is the best way to start even if you intend to add more quilting. I always do it first. It holds everything together. Once you do that, just work on one area at a time. Don't think about the whole quilt, just concentrate on each section, then it won't seem like such a monumental task. If you don't do anything else, well so be it. If you are happy with, it that is all that counts.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:23 PM

Stitch in the ditch is not a cop out. I find it very difficult to do well and if you can do it and stay in the line, then do it. I don't let anyone impose their quilt rules on me. I do what I like with my quilts and you should too.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:25 PM

Stitch in the ditch is definitely not a cop out in my book. I wouldn't pay any attention to trash like that. :-)
Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 PM

It's always hard to understand what makes people say things that are obviously only going to make someone else feel bad. Stitching in the ditch is not a cop-out, it's a perfectly legitimate preference. Just don't let her comments bother you. More often than not, quilters are very nice people and very anxious to help and encourage others. Quite honestly, this person sounds like she needs to learn some manners.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 PM

It is your quilt do it the way you want the person that said stitch in the ditch is a cop out has never done it.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 PM

Boy! Is this a HOT subject! A few of my come-backs:

IMHO; FINISHED IS GOOD! FINISHED IS V E R Y GOOD!

IMHO: I've decided not to should on myself. AND Woe to him who tries to should on me.

IMHO: "Who asked for your opinion anyway?"

In the Bible: "In the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you." Matt7:2

And if I still want to be friends: "Let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this-not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way." Romans 14:13

And from experience: it was my first time to a new quilt guild. I was standing in line for show-and-tell because I was proud of my finished quilt.
The lady in front of me had her turn. She showed a beautiful hand quilted quilt. Then presented a 15 minute tiraid on anyone who would degrade a quilt by machine quilting. And even worse to let someone else quilt it. Finally she sat down. The room was silent.
Slowly I stepped up (and I really didn't want to insult her). (Pause) I said, "Well, following that (pause), this is my machine quilted quilt that _____ _____ LAQ for me and I'm very proud of it." The room exhaled and chuckled.
We were able to finish show-and-tell.
She had embarrashed everyone in that room by her holier-than-thou attitude and insults.
By the way, she never did it again.

She put a stumbling block in your path. Walk around it..... Recognize someone (if not a person, then God himself) will judge her by the same measure she judged you. Just as Pharoh named the last judgemt on Israel as the death of the first born, so he chose the judgement upon himself..... And keep going.

Are we having fun yet?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 PM

My daughter and her boy friend bought 2 miniature Australian puppies. She was told by 'a doctor' that there is no such thing as miniature Australian shepherds. To me we are looking at the same thing here. Everyone has an opinion. We just have to decide how much validity we give others when they say something really dumb. Of course SItheD is a valid way of quilting. I'd really love to have heard her tell our ancestors that! I can understand where she is coming from, but there are quilts that don't look good any other way! I have to admit I don't do a lot of stitch in the ditch, simply because I get bored easily! I used to stipple lots of my quilt, and boy was that boring. I think each of us are on different paths in our quilting. Some are very traditional, and others very modern. You realize that who ever said this about SID probably feels tie-ing a quilt makes it something else! Do you really respect this woman's ability as a quilter?
Old 04-17-2013, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by chairjogger View Post
So, the laziness, the "cop out" of doing your own quilting, but the "send out to long arm" is not.

bruised about this.. each stitch counts.. sat and took it on the chin.. so to speak.

bruised about this.. each stitch counts.. sat and took it on the chin.. so to speak.

..will continue to stitch my own creations, using the most cost effective way possible to enjoy my quilting.

Yes, I consider myself a quilter.

Ell

I have found that when I am in a room full of quilters, I am surrounded by some of the nicest people on the planet. The person who made that comment is not a quilter.