Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's encourage each other! >

Let's encourage each other!

Let's encourage each other!

Old 04-18-2013, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew View Post
I do have a Bernina, but believe me it isn't a newer one. I bought it second hand at that. It's a Bernina 830 record.
Bernina makes a great machine, but it's not the only one that does a great job. One of the old Singers like the 15-91, etc, still make the prettiest straight stitch. So it really isn't about Bernina's. It should be about quilting. Money isn't the point, whether one has plenty of it, or very little of it. Cheers to all of you who have machines you love whatever make they are. And, cheers to everyone who loves quilting!
I also have a Bernina....I did buy her new, but she isn't anymore...I have a 1030 and she has been thru the wringer....but still works like a dream. I started with an old green Kenmore in the early 70's and traded her for a Montgomery Wards machine with more bells and whistles, then my Sweet Bernina.
I now own many machines, but they are not top of the line. Newest one is 4 years old.
This board encourages each other and helps out with problems...that is the reason I am still active on her after several years....
Old 04-18-2013, 06:03 AM

Bravo, well said. Standing ovation!!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:22 AM

I don't WANT a Bernina. While they are probably great machines, they aren't the ONLY great machine made! I have a Viking Ruby (purchased last fall) and a Viking Rose (purchased in the late 1990s) and I still choose to quilt on other machines - from treadles up - most of the time. I have vintage Singers that I paid from $35 to $50 for that can out straight-stitch any machine and I love them!! Use what you can afford and what you're happy with! I hate it when people think what they have is the best and only option. They need to just HUSH!! LOL
Old 04-18-2013, 06:26 AM

This has certainly been an interesting post-one in which true feelings have been evidenced on many levels-all because someone said she couldn't see why someone would buy any other machine than a Bernina. Probably, her comment was made off-handedly because she was happy with her Bernina. I also am a real Bernina lover-however mine is a 1985 version. If I were to buy a new machine-what would I buy? A Bernina, of course. Why, because I have been happy with the one I have. Actually, I also had the old 830 Record. I sold it because I didn't use it much. I also have a Featherweight Singer that I drag around in our camper or to a class. And, I still have my 1959 Singer 40l that I purchased after college. And, I have two working Singer treadles. I just like sewing machines. I really enjoy hearing each of you tell about the joy of a new machine purchase (especially after you have saved a long time for it). But, my mind is open. I am saddened when someone says they are sorry about their choice or that they spend lots of money on a machine and never use all its features. I would never buy an embroidery machine but I can celebrate your purchase of one-it you use it and enjoy it. The same can be said of all the other tools and gadgets. I hope to say things to edify and encourage each person I make a comment to because quilting has grown to have so very many facets. I have branched out and stretched myself. I hope you do also and I hope you receive comments as helpful and not 'put downs'. Let's keep quilting and sharing!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Well said! And let us not forget those who had to make their own material and spin their own thread and didn't know what a Bernina, Singer, Janome, etc. was. They made some of the most beautiful and memorable quilts that cannot and will not be repeated. It all comes down to what is best for you and you are most comfortable with. I like my Singer 2662. I was also happy with the older White I had (hubby got at an estate sale for $10.00). He used it to re-upholster his "64 Nova". Not sure really what happened to it but it made nice car seats. May have to look in the attic. Hmmm! I just encourage you to "keep on keepin on" as the song goes) sewing" with what ever works for you. It isn't the machine who is the creative one. The user is the creative one. The machine is the tool.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:33 AM

Honestly, the older I get, the more I don't give a cr*p what people say. In every class or situation there are going to be people who think a more expensive machine makes them sew better! Just worry about your own skills, learn to love the machine you can afford, and you'll be much happier.

Just one little cute story - I attended a lecture several years ago (given by Nancy Zieman, which is not germane to the story, just figured I would mention it) and a very well-dressed, bejeweled older lady sat beside me. We chatted a little bit and she started talking about her top-of-the-line Janome, and in the midst of the conversation asked me what type of machine I had. I replied, "I have a Singer... I've always sewn on Singers." I kid you not - she turned away and did not say ONE MORE WORD to me the entire evening! It cracked me up.... I think she didn't want my Singer-ness to rub off on her.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:41 AM

I wonder how well all those with fancy machines could quilt if they only had a scissor and needle/thread? Some of the most beautiful quilts I've seen were made with no machine at all.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 AM

I agree. I was in a crochet guild many years ago. There were women there who thought that they were better than using acrylic yarn. They would openly chastise those of us who made things from it, not even bothering to ask if the item was for a child, and therefore needing a lot of washing. I quit going to that guild, and haven't missed those criticisms at all! I agree... just enjoy!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 AM

I understand where you are coming from. I have a problem with the women who now think a quilt is not a quilt unless it is heavily FMQ by a longarmer. I do a really good job of just quilting in the ditch or outline quilting or whatever, I am not good yet with FMQ. Yet these other quilters think I should take all my quilt tops to a longarmer, and yes, she does excellent work, but mine aren't too bad either. I have a quilt book from the early 80's that says as long as a woman has a pair of scissors, a tape ruler and thread and needle, she can make a quilt ! Tools aren't going to make you a good quilter.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by nannyrick.com View Post
Well said!!!
I totally agree...I have been on that side of the conversations & felt like "what am I doing here?"