Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's encourage each other! >

Let's encourage each other!

Let's encourage each other!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 AM

The Gee's Bend quilts have been (may still be) in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I guarantee those ladies were not intimidated by the quilt police. They also did not have most of the things we take for granted - rotary cutters, templates, patterns, quilt shop fabric, etc. They had needles, threads, some sewing machines, old clothing, fabric remnants and their imagination.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 AM

I too am new to quilting and am loving it. I love it for the fact that I am creating something from my own hands. Am I perfect no, no one is, do I have a the gizzmo's, no I can't afford it and I don't have an expensive machine but it works for me. I could fall into all the gadgets etc but then I couldn't afford the fabric. So for me I make do with what I have because the bottom line is I love sitting behind a machine and quilting..
Old 04-18-2013, 08:04 AM

Donna: With you a hundred percent. One of the best things about getting older is just being happy with who you are.
All this being said, I am sorry we have singled out the Bernina owners. Some of my best friend own Berninas and I hope some in the future will be too. If you don't mock me for owning a Brother I certainly won't mock you for owning a Bernina.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:47 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I'm always afraid to say what machine I have because of what people will say to me. I saved for years in order to buy it and am very grateful I have it. Now I am saving to buy a Featherweight. When my dad died my step brother took my mom's Featherweight and said it was his mom's. Made me sick to my stomach - still does! It even had my mom's name in the manual, but that didn't stop him from taking it.

This Christmas I received a Singer 401 Slant O Matic and I love it as much as my TOL sewing machine (which I won't name). I don't have a cutting machine because I feel I can't afford all the dies and mats, but I do have lots of gadgets and rulers. It's taken me years to acquire them. I've been quilting since 1992 and started on my mom's Singer and traded it for a low rent Viking 301.

It's awful that I have to be afraid to say what kind of machine I own because of the flack I receive for owning it. People brag about owning a $99 Brother and everyone pats them on the back, but if you scrimp and save for a good machine, people don't like you very much. What's wrong with this picture? Why can't they be happy for you?

Last edited by jcrow; 04-18-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 AM

Well said....amen!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM

I'm happy for anybody who posts about how much they love their machine, no matter how expensive or inexpensive it is! It's just thrilling to really "bond" with a machine and I love seeing people excited about theirs. And I also commisserate with the people who post about what a nightmare their machine is... 'cause I've been there! I've never had a husband but I imagine finding a good machine that you can fall in love with is the same concept. Guess that's why some people hold onto one forever and others trade up every few years!! LOL.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 AM

I belong to a quilt group who are just as wonderful and encouraging as this board and am so grateful to be surrounded by such great people who lift me up for the quilting skills I do have on my humble little $150 Janome. Some day I will get a better machine but for now she works fine.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by adamae View Post
TeresaS, Thank you for expressing your displeasure in regards to a bad experience on this board. It certainly behooves me to be cautious in my correspondence here. Hopefully, you will have more positive results than negative in the future.
This is not meant personally to you. I feel the same way about myself. "Live and learn."
Old 04-18-2013, 10:28 AM

please do not let this discourage you. She was one of those who have to put down others in order to make herself feel superior. My son said the other day.."Mom you make beautiful quilts" yet my quilts are very simple patterns, some I make up myself, and often have wonky corners and other mistakes. I have yet to have anyone say they are obviously made by a "newbie" I have only been piece quilting for 2 years. If the folks you give your quilts to love them, that is all that matters..

Originally Posted by sustraley View Post
I had made a comment on a different post here. A lady who has quilted forever saw my quilt. (One that I was very proud of). She said "Oh I can tell you are a newbie." She just crushed me. I'm sure she has all the most expensive tools and probably many of them. I still can't get past that comment. I would like to see what her first quilts looked like. Just because you have the most expensive top of the line tools doesn't make you the best and top of the line quilter. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I understand where you are coming from. I have a problem with the women who now think a quilt is not a quilt unless it is heavily FMQ by a longarmer. I do a really good job of just quilting in the ditch or outline quilting or whatever, I am not good yet with FMQ. Yet these other quilters think I should take all my quilt tops to a longarmer, and yes, she does excellent work, but mine aren't too bad either. I have a quilt book from the early 80's that says as long as a woman has a pair of scissors, a tape ruler and thread and needle, she can make a quilt ! Tools aren't going to make you a good quilter.
I have had two quilts done by a LA one was the quilt group at the senior center (nicely done and not too expensive ) and one by a pro. (rather expensive, but well done). I do my own now, SID or outline or tie as I cannot afford the other. My quilts are well recieved and loved by those who get them. They are not perfect, but that shows they are made by hand. So just keep at it and ignore the nay sayers. smile...