Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dearth of interesting fabrics >

Dearth of interesting fabrics

Dearth of interesting fabrics

Old 04-20-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
I agree with you. I lived through the 70's, I really don't want to go through it again. Peace signs fabric, lime green, orange. Just not my style.
Totally agree! Once is enough of that stuff for me, but I have no problem with others liking/using those colors. I'm more of a jewel tone and pastel kind of gal.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:18 PM

I, too, see quite a bit of the same types of patterns in the leading manufacturers. Are they afraid someone will 'corner the market?' I have been using fabrics from my stash ever since the prices went sky high. I attended a quilt show yesterday and found a wondeful mix of quilting styles. Glad to see that quilters are not following the leader and are thinking out of the box.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
My problem is that I love too many different types of fabric design. I wish I loved one like clear brights so I could develop a "style".
I think this is my problem too. Or maybe I'm so new to the quilting scene that I haven't found my style. It's sort of like being at the buffet and having to choose when what I want is a couple of bites of everything. But the prices are out of sight. But where there's a will there's a way.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:42 PM

Personally I think it's just the opposite! I think there's an overabundance of interesting fabrics! I just visited 8 quilt shops in the last two days and saw gorgeous fabrics in every shop!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:48 PM

1.) Hi Kathy. Yes, I am still around, and yes we are still connected through mutual friends.
2.) This lament was directed at designers who have given up on what I like. I use intense deep toned fabrics, and I realize they are not everyone's (or anyone elses) cup of tea. I appreciate those of you who use Civil war type fabrics, pastel tones, or any other combination you feel inspired with (excluding kids oriented fabrics which I don't understand at all).
3.) I am just not inspired by today's selection. It seems bland. I walk through quilt stores and shows and the green stays in my wallet. Not a good sign.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's good to see that quilting is still alive and well even if it doesn't inspire me. As I said, I have years worth of fabric to use up before I need panic. In the mean time, designers have lots of time to come up with something to stimulate my creative process once again.

tim in san jose
Old 04-21-2013, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

I havbe the exact opposite problem. I love it all.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 AM

i agree with tim. occasionally, i find fabric that "speaks" to me--but i tend to gravitate to jewel tones, traditional, and some of the reproductions. for me, it is largely my age--i lived through the insipid colors the manufacturers are using now, when i was young. i didn't like them back then, i don't like them any better, now. i do indulge in '30s repro, because those were the quilts that introduced me to the physical and emotional warmth in a quilt. my grandmother's "farm" was filled with quilts she had made from feed sacks, gathered clothing, available fabrics at the time my dad and his brothers were growing up.

the uninspiring pastels, the early 60's patterns on them, my inability to see any beauty in them put into the pattern context i have, all discourage my caring. best purchase of the week? some celtic themed cotton, in black and rich green, with knotwork and claddaghs on it, for $0.75 a yard. the colors were deep, interesting, and the price unbeatable. meanwhile, i look at fabric, and walk past it. in a few years, it will look dated, and uninteresting, insipid. i'll hold out for better things.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Wish I had your problem! I always can find stuff to drool over. (And to me, Fairy Frost is not what I'd call "interesting", but more of a blender, semi-solid.)
Old 04-21-2013, 09:27 AM

I understand what tim in san jose is saying. I don't like the modern lines or the retro 60s and 70s. A lot of the black and white and one other color don't appeal to me either. While I don't have much to spend on fabrics these days, I still love batiks, florals, 20s and 30s reproductions and I am actually starting to like civil war repros. I also like animal and nature scenes. Tim, I think you should look at your stash, then go online to your favorite fabric sites and just keep looking. Keepsake quilting has quite a few different styles of fabrics, maybe you will fall in love with something there. Don't give up hope! Each year the fabrics change and soon they will come around to one you like once again.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
I agree with you. I lived through the 70's, I really don't want to go through it again. Peace signs fabric, lime green, orange. Just not my style.
Me too. I was just a kid but that whole movement left me wanting to get a shower...so I leave out the peace signs, hot pink and psychedelic fabric. I figure it was produced for those too young to have lived through it, or else "wannabee hippies" who are in their 60's. I've seen a few.

But even excluding those fabrics, there are a lot of interesting fabrics to me. Last year when in the states, I even went outside my comfort zone and bought a couple pieces of "wild fabrics" to play around with (brights).

Last edited by justflyingin; 04-21-2013 at 12:10 PM.