Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
male quilters >

male quilters

male quilters

Old 05-01-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Folks, this is a logical place for someone with no knowledge of quilting to start looking for someone who quilts in his/her area.

Now, Ray, why is this story to only be about a male quilter? Plenty of great female quilters out there. Suggest you include both a male and female quilter in your story.

The ideas of looking for Quilt Guilds and asking at local quilt shops in your area are both good ideas, Ray.
I know why. It's because that area, which is considered Appalachia, is steeped in gender roles. The men work in petroleum and coal, the women stay home. He's looking for someone who has "bucked" the system.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

Hi, Ray. Welcome to the board. This is a great opportunity for you to learn our craft. YOU could be the first male quilter in your area! Hehehe. It is a fantastic "community" to be a part of. Where would you like to start?????
Old 05-01-2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
I also am looking for a male quilter - what a great husband replacement. Just imagine!

Hahaha! does that mean we would have to share our stash or would my stash just double! Hahaha!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Banned

Jan - I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree!

Ray - First I would like to say THANK YOU for coming to the Quilting Board to
start your research into male quilters.

When I was in school (a couple years ago) for my English 101 final essay I wanted
the topic to be "Men who Quilt" mainly because some of my "quilting idols" were men
in a predominately female "hobby/craft/trade/business" depending on who you talk to
will depend on how they MIGHT classify their quilting.

I spent MANY weeks researching the topic of men who quilt and although I had quite
a bit of difficulties getting the men quilters to "talk" to me (a woman) I ended up having
to take my essay in a different angle because I couldn't obtain the research I wanted/needed.

However with YOU being I male I am hoping you will get the research and information you
are seeking for your project.

Another website that you might want to check into is basically for MALE quilters. I am only
one of the females (less than 20 I THINK at the time I joined). MAN QUILTER
might be another good place to try for more research.

I wish you the best of luck and someday I hope to be fortunate enough to be able to
read your article that you write.

Louise
Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Jim

Hi Ray, I am a male quilter who lives in Kentucky, just not in the counties you asked about. I have been quilting 20 years and have taught classes, as well as individual one on one instruction. Mainly, I make the tops and my wife does the quilting. We live in Bardstown, which is in Nelson County. I hope you find the person you are looking for and I hope that you enjoy the Quilting Board as much as I do. If I can help in any way just Private message me, I usually look at the board several times a day. BTW, welcome to the board and sorry for such scrutiny, it's like there's a man in the fabric store...just kidding everyone...seriously....Jim
Old 05-02-2013, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by jan in va View Post
please all, be sure to read the original posts carefully before responding, it saves the rest of us some teeth grinding and silly comments.

The reporter needs a male quilter in his area of kentucky.
The reporter is a member now of this website and can find any other member's user name just as the rest of us can.
If anyone knows of a male quilter in the correct area of kentucky, they could easily pm the quilter with a link to this thread so that quilter could personally contact the reporter by pm.
If the quilter, or anyone else, has questions they can easily contact the venue for which this reporter works to establish his legitimacy.

Being cautious and 'private' is one thing we should all do.
Being a bit rude in response to a new member's post is another entirely, especially when there is recourse to answer the question without endangering anyone.

Jan in va
ditto, jan.......aren't we all on here to help one another?

Sorry, ray, i can't help you but i am sure that someone out there will be able to give you some information.

When the article is written, please post where we can read it. Thanks and good luck, mj
Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post

Another website that you might want to check into is basically for MALE quilters. I am only
one of the females (less than 20 I THINK at the time I joined). MAN QUILTER
might be another good place to try for more research.

Louise... did you see that the site owner limited the membership to 150 and he has 50 men waiting to join? he asks for donations to keep the account up and running. it's definitely an interesting read
Old 05-02-2013, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Please all, be sure to read the original posts carefully before responding, it saves the rest of us some teeth grinding and silly comments.

The reporter needs a male quilter in HIS area of Kentucky.
The reporter is a member now of this website and can find any other member's user name just as the rest of us can.
If anyone knows of a male quilter in the correct area of Kentucky, they could easily PM the quilter with a link to this thread so that quilter could personally contact the reporter by PM.
If the quilter, or anyone else, has questions they can easily contact the venue for which this reporter works to establish his legitimacy.

Being cautious and 'private' is one thing we should all do.
Being a bit rude in response to a new member's post is another entirely, especially when there is recourse to answer the question without endangering anyone.

Jan in VA
Applause to you Jan, the nasty comments that come out are the one thing that really gets my ire up on this board. It is a great source of info and great when people are nice but it can turn in a heartbeat.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:13 AM

I agree with Jan, ray I hope you find your resource you are looking for and welcome to the board. ,
Old 05-02-2013, 04:46 AM

I do so agree with Jan. If I knew of such an individual I would give him this reporters name and contact info and let him make the decision as to if he wanted to make contact. Problem solved with out being rude. And I hope we all get the chance to read this story if it comes about. It sounds interesting!!!!