Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I, or shouldn't I? >

Should I, or shouldn't I?

Should I, or shouldn't I?

Old 05-04-2013, 08:08 AM

IF money isn't an issue I suggest you get what you want. It sounds like you would like to justify spending the money but, really, if you will enjoy using it, bring happiness to your household and those who receive your quilts, then don't let the issue of money get in the way. Its great to hear a story like this. Your husband wants you to have it; money isn't an issue, and you will use it well. Good luck and let us know how this works out for you.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:27 AM

I had a Gammill Classic Plus that I added the Statler Stitcher to last fall. I have a ton of money in it and I don't regret spending a cent of it and would spend it again without a second thought.

Maintenance expense is almost nothing. Keep it clean and oiled and it will run for years. The manual and other documentation are excellent and I just finished an all day class where we adjusted tensions, checked and corrected (if required) timing and all other mechanical aspects of the machine. Other than electrical, I can't see every having to have service on the machine.

You dealer and support network is the most important part of any system.

You can't take it with you so you should have what you want while you can enjoy it.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:41 AM

People spend that on automobiles, if they want them enough. I, too, wouldn't want to work on other people's quilts in order to justify a LA, so I wouldn't factor that in. If it were me and I decided to own one, I'd buy the 15K used one; you can always get lessons/set up elsewhere. But again, it's ultimately up to you. Not a lot of help, am I? Sorry!

Last edited by Friday1961; 05-04-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:53 AM

Our local sewing center has the new Juki LA on sale for $8,000. Check around, find what you want, and there is always a sale.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I'd say go for it! You want one, and you have hubby's blessing. Tho do perhaps make a list of features you'd like to have, and look at a few machines. After you get one, you can do quilts for charity-they don't care about "perfect" quilting.
I bought a Handi Quilter, and I love it! Having it in my home helps with my stress levels and physical issues. I can walk away from the machine whether or not the quilt is finished. No guilt here!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:19 AM

It depends on what you mean by 'get my money's worth out of the machine.'

If you feel like you HAVE to make it pay in $$$ but don't want to quilt for others, then you may never get your 'money's worth' out of the LA.

If:
a)
what you really want is the chance to be more creative, artistic, expand your quilting skills,
b) you have the patience to learn what you need to learn to do all that AND
c) you won't beat yourself up over the cost of the machine and supplies until the day you die

then, yes, you will get your moneys worth.

No matter what, though, you know your DH loves you, and that is priceless!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:11 AM

Default LAQ machine

You can pay a lot of people to LA your quilts for you and have a lot more time to piece. Just a thought
Old 05-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

This is a good point. I have a long arm but miss the time planning and piecing that I lost to long arming.

Originally Posted by danlynmartin View Post
You can pay a lot of people to LA your quilts for you and have a lot more time to piece. Just a thought
Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

I'm sort of going thru the same conversation with myself. Will I get my money's worth and enjoy the process. But unlike you money is an issue and at 62 I don't know if I will have the years to break even. I would caution you on renting time on your machine unless your willing to teach the renter and pay for repairs and maintenance.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Oh you do have a dilemma. I'm like you and would be hesitate to work on other people's quilts but that is where the money is. Good luck!