Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
She who dies with the most wins! But what about after? >

She who dies with the most wins! But what about after?

She who dies with the most wins! But what about after?

Old 05-04-2013, 05:12 AM

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. She was too, too young. I lost a dear friend to cancer who was 54.

Thank you for reminding us to take care of what is dear to our hearts...quilting. I hadn't even though of it. Your post and all the other posts really has brought me to start making arrangements for all of my quilting, knitting and other craft supplies. I have one daughter and a son. Neither are married & there are no grandchildren. It makes me sad to think that I will never have a grandchild to teach how to quilt. My daughter sews, but is not doing much of that lately. She has never made a quilt. I know that she will have first dibs on what she would like, and then to the quilting guild to be distributed to those in need. This has been a big eye-opener. I know what I will be working on ... getting my things in order! Thank you all ... I cried as I read your posts. Quilters are special people. We do care about humanity. My love to you all!
Old 05-04-2013, 05:50 AM

So sorry for the loss of your dear friend! I'm going thru a similar situation since my dear Mom passed away from complications after an emergency surgery. My Mom also had terminal cancer so we did have some time to talk about what she wanted done with most of her quilting things. Thankfully my sisters & I got it all dispersed to her charity groups and I brought home her WIP & UFO's to finish and send on to the lucky recipients. My sisters quilt, but not to the extent that I do and I spent more time with her (I lived closer to her) and had many conversations with her about what her wishes were. It would have been easier if everything was put down on paper. Something that I'm going to start working on for my STASH!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

After having to deal with a rat packed home of two great aunts, I will never leave a mess like that for my kids or DH to deal with. DH and I have it in our will that a moving company will come pack up every thing one of use leaves behind and deliver to an auction house of our DD's choice. If any of the kids want any of it they can bid on it at the auction with the inheritance they will receive from me or DH.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by churcae View Post
Thanks for the condolences. It is hard to look at all this beautiful fabric while thinking if only, or what if, - some of the WIPs were from classes we had both gone to!

Makes me want to get rid of the peripherals and concentrate on what brings joy!
Smartest thing I've heard all day!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

I'm sorry for the loss of all the friends that died 'too soon'

I have told my family that there is value in my sewing stuff if they want to deal with the things.
If not, they can give it away to whoever might value it. I would hope that they would give more distant relatives and friends the chance to take what they wanted before they donated it to a charitable organization.

If they burned it - if possible, I would come back to haunt them! (That action I really don't understand - but I have heard of people just dumping trash bags full of fabric because they just didn't want to deal with the stuff - sometimes the effort of disposing/moving on items seems like just too much effort)
Old 05-04-2013, 08:59 AM

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious friend. Your words are very wise. I have told my daughter that if something happens to me she is to come to the house and get (1) all my quilting materials, tools, and Pfaff sewing machine, (2) all my Longaberger baskets, and (3) all my Robert Tino prints. Otherwise, my husband will sell them for $1 at a yard sale! I am busily making and giving quilts to all my precious family and friends while I am still kicking. Everyone in my family has at least one quilt. I gave four quilts to girlfriends in 2011 and six quilts to girlfriends in 2012.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:09 PM

I'm sorry for your loss, and you are so right that we all put off these decisions. My will is up to date, and my DH and I have written a letter to our executor (DD), but it's not really up to date either. I have sewing rooms in AZ and CT, and both have stashes and WIPs that should have notes like you suggest. I should at least tell DD to give my fabric to a guild to make quilts for Hospice or the local hospital for the children's ward - both are good suggestions for our stashes. I'm sure my stashes will outlive me!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:34 PM

We had to deal with this subject when my mother died. I took a lot of stuff, we sold some in the estate sale, and my sister still has all the pizza boxes of UFOs that we don't have any idea how to proceed with. Thanks for this thread as we all need to put thought into what we leave behind.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:08 PM

My Mom was a seamstress for most of her life (98 yrs.). Starting about 5 years ago, every time I'd visit her, I'd leave with a bundle of items. Some was fabric, patterns, notions, needlepoint yarn, embroidery floss, etc. A year ago, my brothers and I cleaned out their cottage, as Mom had moved to the nursing home and Dad had moved to Assisted Living. At that time her sewing machine went to my sister-in-law and I took the cabinet. I also got a dresser filled with the remaining craft items both she and my Dad had. My Dad had watercolor painting supplies, a labidary toolbox, drawing and painting pads. My other sister-in-law is an avid knitter, so she took most of the knitting supplies. About the only thing we threw away was 50 + year old thread. I still haven't made it all the way thru that dresser to actually see what's stashed in each drawer. But I'm so glad I have it. My Mom passed away in mid March. I know she wanted me to have her sewing machine, but since I have a machine that is much newer and works well for fmq and my sister-in-law didn't have a machine, that's why it went to her instead.

One of my quilt guild members passed away last year and her daughters thoughtfully went thru her stash and donated lots of it to our guild. Some gets used for door prizes for those that help out as Holders & Folders at Show and Tell. Other FQ's and yardage went for a fund raiser we had.

It seems like such a waste if that fabric would just get thrown away or burned! So many people make quilts for charity, that fabric could easily be given to churches that make quilts for charity or other groups.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:54 PM

I lost a good freind many years ago very fast and I got 8 big tubs of her stuff, I have some some for small project but need to makea a quilt with all her Aunt Gracies that is on my bucket list!