Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threads! What do you do with them? >

Threads! What do you do with them?

Threads! What do you do with them?

Old 05-05-2013, 06:35 PM

Default Threads! What do you do with them?

What do you do with your threads after you have quilted? Do you cut them, or what? The last thing I did, I pulled them all to the back, tied knots and I hid the tails in between the backing and batting. I back stitch, can I just cut them or is that bad?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Banned

I leave long tails. Use a Spiral Needle and bury them If you have back stitched I dont know why you need to tie knot before burying the threads
Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I leave long tails. Use a Spiral Needle and bury them If you have back stitched I dont know why you need to tie knot before burying the threads
Holis, where do you buy spiral needles? I have been unable to find them here. Also, I could be wrong, but I thought that I read that spiral needles can be used for FMQ. Do they make them for machines too? Or could I just be confused??
Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 AM

I had a quilt with tons of threads to be hidden when I got done. I bought one of those cheap needle threaders--the one with a bent wire to pull the thread through the eye of the needle and buried each thread after knotting them on the back. Worked great and didn't take a lot of extra time. At the beginning and end of each row of stitching I sewed a couple of stitches very close together. I didn't want to backstitch since that would show. As far as I know the stitching has held up wonderfully--at least I haven't had any complaints.
Sue
Old 05-06-2013, 03:56 PM

Besides threading the long strands and pulling them into the batting or taking tiny stitches at the beginning and end, I have also used a fine crochet hook. I gently poke the hook about half an inch away and work it towards the threads and then wrap them around the hook before pulling the threads through. Takes a little practice.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 PM

When I quilt on my frame, I bring the threads to the top, take a tiny back stitch and bury the threads. I use the open eye needle and it goes pretty quickly.