Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
How do I make real iced tea? >

How do I make real iced tea?

How do I make real iced tea?

Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
My mom always boiled water in the kettle or in a saucepan - then pour the hot water in the pitcher with your tea bags (I use between 5-8 tea bags) I think Lipton is the best - fill the pitcher about half way or less with hot water- just let the tea bags steep for a while - then add cold water to the top - sweeten as you like it - usually add ice to the glass to cool it more.
I have made it the same way for years. Only change is I only use 4 tea bags, I change the flavors. I have a 2 quart pitcher in the refrigerator that is only for ice tea. If I want southern sweet tea I add 3/4 of a cup of sugar but normally I use only about 1/4 of a cup of sugar. I don't usually drink really sweet tea. In the summer we make a new pitcher almost daily. Much better than pop or soda.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean View Post
I make sun tea. I use the large canning jars, put a teabag in & set in the sun for a couple hours. Put a bit of sugar in while it is still warm & shake - then refrigerate.
Yes, this is the way to get nice, mild tea. I don't add the sugar before refrigerating. Years ago, we had neighbors who were descended from Basque shepherds, and they told us this is how they made tea. Makes for a good story and also good tea! :-)
Old 05-07-2013, 06:16 PM

If you want sweet tea you need to add the sugar to hot tea so it dissolves. Does not dissolve well in cold liquid. I boil water with5-7 tea bags and add sugar while it is hot and then put in pitcher and let it cool in the refrig.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
This sounds like a simple question for someone who has been cooking for 50+ years, but how do you make real iced tea? I dislike the canned sweet tea we buy way up here in the north. I make a very good pot of hot tea but iced sweet tea has me baffled. It would be nice to have a pitcher in my fridge ready to drink, now that our hot and humid summer is approaching. Thanks everyone for the help.

I fill a gallon jar of water...put teabags in and put in the fridge. Makes the best tea!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
This sounds like a simple question for someone who has been cooking for 50+ years, but how do you make real iced tea? I dislike the canned sweet tea we buy way up here in the north. I make a very good pot of hot tea but iced sweet tea has me baffled. It would be nice to have a pitcher in my fridge ready to drink, now that our hot and humid summer is approaching. Thanks everyone for the help.
You can make sweet tea syrup and store in the refrigerator. Take 3 cups of water and boil. Put in four of the large family size tea bags. Let them steep in the water for 20 minutes or so. Squeeze out the tea bags. Then reboil the tea with 3/4 cup of sugar. You get a simple syrup (about a cup and a half). Put that in a mason jar in the refrigerator - it will be okay for up to 2 months. When you want sweet tea take 1/4 cup of the syrup and mix with about 2 quarts of water.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bassetlvr View Post
If you want sweet tea you need to add the sugar to hot tea so it dissolves. Does not dissolve well in cold liquid. I boil water with5-7 tea bags and add sugar while it is hot and then put in pitcher and let it cool in the refrig.
Wow, so many different ways to make Iced Tea! I put about two cups water in a pot and bring to boil. Add seven to eight single tea bags and let sit for about 15 minutes. Squeeze the tea bags into the water and add to about a half gallon water in pitcher. It is very important to add the sugar while warm. I add lemon and stir until the sugar is dissolved and refrigerate. My family likes very sweet tea and adding the lemon up front will make your tea very cloudy. It is the way we have always done it and my entire southern family loves it!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:34 PM

We Southerners make the tea with several teabags and allow it to steep. Sweeten it to taste and stir well. Then add cold water to your taste. Put in large container and into the fridge. Sweetening the tea base while it is hot seems to make it taste better.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM

You can also make a simple syrup of sugar and hot water. Put one cup of sugar in a glass jar and pour boiled hot water over it to make a syrup. Then you can add this to your premade tea and there's no need to worry about the sugar dissolving. You can use as much or little of the syrup as you like. Keep any remaining syrup in the fridge for the next batch of tea.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:52 PM

4-5 family size tea bags.
boil water in a saucepan add bags and steep for 30 minutes or more.
Pour the steeped tea in a gallon pitcher add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, add ice and cold water
Sweeten to taste and refrigerate. Enjoy.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Old Fashion Southern Sweet Tea:
5-8 family size tea bags (or 12 regular)
1 Quart boiling water (4 cups)
3 Quarts cool watecr
1 1/2 cups sugar (or to taste)
1/4 tsp. baking soda (secret ingredient)
Sprinkle baking soda in large glass pitcher. Add tea bags to pitcher. Pour boiling water over tea bags, cover and let steep 15 minutes. Remove tea bags and discard. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Add cool water. Stir well and serve over ice.