Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need to Purchase an Ironing Board >

Need to Purchase an Ironing Board

Need to Purchase an Ironing Board

Old 05-08-2013, 05:08 PM

I use my cutting table. It's very large and what I did was get a good size board and covered it. When I need to cut I just raise the board. Lower it to iron. You can put hinges on the back too. Clear as mud? :O)
Old 05-08-2013, 07:25 PM

My ironing board was my DM's (it was a wedding present when she got married about 75 years ago) Then I made a large top to fit over it. When not in use I keep it in the closet. Doesn't require a lot of room, but is great to iron quilt tops and yardage. I agree, the older boards are very sturdy.
Sue
Old 05-08-2013, 07:29 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Make one that you can use on any table surface:

1. A piece of thin plywood cut to your size (mine is 28" x 38" - wish it were another 6" longer) from Lowes. http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

2. Covered with one or two layers (no more!) of cotton batting bought by the yard at Joannes or use a leftover piece.

3. Cover that with a layer of silvered ironing board cover bought at Joannes http://www.joann.com/ironing-board-c...lver/prd10219/

Whole thing very usuable, portable, big enough for yardage, store against the wall, all for probably less than $30.

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 05-08-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:59 PM

I got an English ironing board years ago at a yard sale for almost nothing - it's built like a tank. I make my own covers, so no big deal, but I love all the extra space on top, as its larger than a regular ironing board. I expect it will last the rest of my life easily. I also have an oversized table top version that I leave set up and just set it on my counter cutting area when I need to press something. One of these days I'll be caught up enough on my ongoing quilt projects to tidy up the room and re-organize a bit so I can leave it up all the time....it's going to take me days to tidy it!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 PM

Thanks for all the comments in regards to the ironing board. I think I might just keep the older one I have since every board I have looked at is not very sturdy. I have seen the board tops that people make which will be nice for large pieces of fabric.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:59 PM
amh

I have a 24" by 48" piece of plywood which I have covered with a few pieces of batting and some muslin, stapled to the underside. I set it on top of my ironing board or on top of a table when I am ironing yardage for quilting. I would not be without it. I use it for everything -- quilting, or pressing clothes.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

This is the best ironing board I have ever used. My guild has two of them with the fabric cradles. http://www.reliablecorporation.com/P...e-Tables/C81_2
Old 05-09-2013, 06:47 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
This is the best ironing board I have ever used. My guild has two of them with the fabric cradles. http://www.reliablecorporation.com/P...e-Tables/C81_2
A FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR ironing board?!!!!! Are you kidding me?!! Good grief, my Oreck vacuum didn't even cost *that* much! Or my vintage Bernina 830, for that matter. NOT happening in my world Bella, but I hope you enjoy the heck out of yours!! (Kind of reminds me of the old song, "Nice work if you can get it,....", LOL!)

Jan in VA
Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 AM

my ironing board for quilting is the smaller plastic fold up table. i believe it's 2 feet my 4 ft., about. i covered it with a piece of batting, then a piece i had used to practice free motioning on. so the sandwich was complete. just binded the edges, then pinned it to the 4 leg supports. easy to take off and wash that way.
i believe i paid $25 for it 5 yrs or so ago.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
A FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR ironing board?!!!!! Are you kidding me?!! Good grief, my Oreck vacuum didn't even cost *that* much! Or my vintage Bernina 830, for that matter. NOT happening in my world Bella, but I hope you enjoy the heck out of yours!! (Kind of reminds me of the old song, "Nice work if you can get it,....", LOL!)

Jan in VA
LOL. I know many people get sticker shocked. If you think about it, selling one queen size quilt will pay for the board. I don't have one, my guild has two of them, one a pro model. They were donated to the guild from a retired clothes designer. I wouldn't have believed the difference if I hadn't used one. I press all my quilt tops on it at guild. I know two guild members that bought their own but they sew a lot of custom designed clothes and costumes.