Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ironing and Pressing Quilt Pieces >
  • Ironing and Pressing Quilt Pieces

• Ironing and Pressing Quilt Pieces

Old 05-10-2013, 01:18 PM

I am so glad that I have my mom's old flat plated iron. It is at least 35 years old but it is perfect for pressing my quilt piecing. The 'Clover' mini iron is also great for pressing fabric in some very small areas.
    Old 05-12-2013, 03:18 AM

I use a Black and Decker that cost around $25 and love it. It has an auto shut off which was at the top of my list. The first one I got quit heating after using it for about 3 months. I contacted the company and all I had to do was cut off the plug and send it in and they replaced the iron. The new iron came quickly. Great customer service and I think I just got a fluke of a defective iron. It has a shiny sole plate which I can clean and not worry about the teflon coating coming off. It also came with a little pitcher for filling the iron. Best way to pick an iron is to list the features you absolutely want (like auto shut off for me) and then go to a store where you can hold the irons to test the feel and weight.
    Old 05-12-2013, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by filewizard25
    I use an old, very simple, Black and Decker iron. I've never quite understood what those expensive irons are going to get me other than an empty pocket book. I mean, if I'm going to spend over $100 on an iron that thing better make me coffee while I'm sewing or something. (just keeping it real)
    A coffee-brewing iron. Now I have heard everything! This is how great inventions take shape!!
    Old 05-12-2013, 04:22 AM

I just read in Harriet Hargrave's Freshman "how to" book that she recommends an iron on the heavier side with only a minimum of steam holes. She states that this type of iron put out a minimum of steam and then dries the fabric more quickly. Good luck and happy quilting.
    Old 05-12-2013, 04:47 AM
    Power Poster

I have a Rowenta and love it but I originally bought it for regular ironing (which I rarely do anymore) because of it's great steaming ability
    Old 05-12-2013, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven
    I just read in Harriet Hargrave's Freshman "how to" book that she recommends an iron on the heavier side with only a minimum of steam holes. She states that this type of iron put out a minimum of steam and then dries the fabric more quickly. Good luck and happy quilting.
    And I thought an iron with more steam holes was better. I can't use too heavy of an iron with my hand that had surgery (right) so I have used mostly Black and Decker's...but my current iron is a Shark I got on sale and I really do like it....it steams really good and I do use steam quite a bit.
    Old 05-12-2013, 05:17 AM

I have a Sunbeam Iron that I've had for many years. I may have even bought it at a rummage sale. It doesn't get really hot, but it does the trick. About two years ago I bought a new $20 iron because I thought my Sunbeam was going out. It's still in the box. And the Sunbeam never spits; but I use distilled water in it only. A gallon of distilled water is less than $1. and many times I don't use steam.
    Old 05-12-2013, 05:49 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I'm one of those people who bought an expensive iron for next to nothing. It has a separate holding tank for water. The iron itself weighs nothing because it holds no water. I can use it without turning on the water and use it as a dry iron and it works wonderfully. When I turn on the tank of water, watch out. It steams like crazy. It has just a few holes at the very top of the iron. It never spits or leaks. I bought it at a great price. I always wanted one but couldn't afford $$, so I Googled it and spent about a week checking around for a good price and finally found one. I love this iron. It is perfect for me!!
    Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 AM

I personally love steam in my iron. Lots of steam. I have gone thru 3 Rowentas in 4 years. They all started to leak, a lot. 2 of them were still under warranty and were replaced very nicely by Bed Bath and Beyond. The third one was out of warranty, about 1 1/2 years old and BB and Beyond said they couldn't replace and recommended I contact Rowenta as the iron was $129. Rowenta told me I was SOL. Wouldn't do anything. Check the internet they are notorious for leaking a lot. I have a cheap iron now from Wal Mart that is working well. Reliable irons get good reviews but they are costly.
    Old 05-12-2013, 05:55 AM

I bought a dry iron and love it! Closest thing to my Grannie's old iron I could find. I don't use steam and I like a nice heavy iron.