Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotating Cutting Matt idea >

Rotating Cutting Matt idea

Rotating Cutting Matt idea

Old 05-10-2013, 03:50 AM

I bought one of those swivel
seats that they sell for getting in and out of car easier. Took the padding off and my husband cut the mat to fit. Works great I just put a little pc of that stuff that keeps things from sliding on the floor under it to keep it from moving.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I tried that and took the tip of my finger off. My lazy susan was bigger but round. DH went to fabric store with me and saw the rotating cutting mat and said use this and maybe we won't have to go to the ER to get you stitched up. I took the tip of my left index finger half way off.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

brilliant!!!! wish I had thought of it before I bought the rotating mat
Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 AM

Hmmmmmmm, I wonder if I can do that with my lazy susan. I am doing a lot of paper piecing lately and it would be ideal for cutting those tiny pieces. Thanx for the post its definitely got my creative juices running lol
Old 05-10-2013, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I bought a lazy Susan that is rectangular in shape at a thrift store. It works perfect! I have never seen another rectangular shaped one.
This was probably made for a TV, back when TVs were big, heavy boxes. I have one I use for quilting and it's excellent for that purpose if you can find one. It's rectangular and big enough for a small mat. It does not slide on the table and doesn't tip. They are extremely steady because lives depended on those TVs not falling on anyone!

Whatever you try, please be sure there is no way for it to move in unexpected ways before you ever come near it with a sharp blade! It pains me to keep reading about people getting hurt, and I've had one fairly minor nick with a rotary cutter, myself, so I know how close I came to a serious accident. I was just using an ordinary mat and ruler that time, though. The cutter jumped over the ruler. After that I had no trouble remembering to keep my hand back from the cutting area. It was a painful and scary lesson.

Last edited by Rose_P; 05-10-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:45 AM

[QUOTE=Rose_P;6057130]This was probably made for a TV, back when TVs were big, heavy boxes. I have one I use for quilting and it's excellent for that purpose if you can find one. It's rectangular and big enough for a small mat. It does not slide on the table and doesn't tip. They are extremely steady because lives depended on those TVs not falling on anyone!

That makes sense! I had no idea what it was. I paid $3 for it and they had 4 of them. I debated buying all of them. It is very sturdy and doesn't tip at all. It rotates fluidly and it isn't heavy at all. I have the Olfa rotating mat also but I prefer to use this.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=mckwilter;6052334]I purchased a rectangular one at a quilt show that was actually made to fit the 12x18 cutting mat, which is actually about 13x19 if you measure edge to edge.

Would you happen to have information on the vendor? Maybe he actually runs a business and mails items? I'd love one.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 AM

Another thing I saw in Baltimore

www.bebasboutique.com What I liked about them is you can buy replacement mats that fit exactly. The mats are their main business, just did the rotating holder to supplement them.

I don't see them on his website, but you can call. They were really neat.

Last edited by bigredharley; 05-12-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:25 AM

Just a quick thought. While it can be cheaper to make your own rotating mat, the price you pay to purchase one, is a great investment because the pieces are made to be a solid unit and you will probably own this mat for your quilting lifetime. I used to use a larger lazy susan with a mat on it, but I did get a rotating mat at a yard sale, and it works so much better for me. The whole thing seems more balanced.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:32 AM

Do you have the vendor's name?