Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Heart Healthy recipes >

Heart Healthy recipes

Heart Healthy recipes

Old 05-14-2013, 06:59 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who replied .. Alot of these recipes have been tried and are now in our recipe book.
The official diagnosis is: S.C.A.D.-Silent Coronary Artery Disease, His heart is in GREAT condition, no signs of any damage; Doc's official view is everything was caught in time and he can live a very long life (Doc was teasing with him and said he may even learn to quilt !LOL). What amazed me about the whole thing was they used a dremel like drill to drill out the calcium & the size of the stint .. WOW ... Learned and learning more everyday !

Again, thank you very much for all your recipes, ideas and thoughts ..
Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 AM

I am glad that your husband is doing well. My husband received two stints several years ago and has been very well since. Our primary care physician just happens to be a cardiologist. She constantly reminds us to throw away the salt shaker, eliminate as much sugar as possible, eat no whites (bread, flour, pasta, potatoes, potato chips, etc.) and no processed foods such as cold cuts, hot dogs, prepared frozen meals, etc. Just read your labels for content; eat lots of fruits and vegetables, lean meats (which can occasionally include lean red meat); whole grains and reduce your carb intake.
Another interesting web site is that of Dr. Daniel Pompa, “The Cellular Healing Diet” which is great for anyone but has significantly helped my eldest son who is a 44 year old cancer survivor. He has lost 25 pounds, no longer has sleep apnea, the texture of his skin has improved, he is off all medications and he feels 100% better. He swears by this diet!
Best of health to you and your husband.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:31 AM

Heart disease runs in my DH's family on his father's side. When we first got married, money was tight and I expanded my cooking knowledge for health and $ reasons. That has not changed. We eat lots of in-season fresh vegetables, fruits, beans, brown rice, whole grains, oatmeal five days a week, and poultry/fish. If you buy ground turkey, make sure you read the label. I get the ground turkey breast which has the least amount of fat. If you are fortunate to live somewhere and can get buffalo or elk, then there is your substitute for the tastiest burgers. Buffy burgers with the works are worth the little extra price and we use them as treats. Stuffed colored peppers with ground turkey, rice and veggies might also be a choice. Steamed cauliflower mashed up can be a great substitute for white potatoes. I started by using 1/4 of a cauliflower head with the 3/4 white potatoes. Over time, I increased the cauliflower to 100%. Another great option is to roast veggies like carrots, parsnips, brussel sprouts, etc... For dessert, we eat fruit salad or a fruit smoothie. Good luck and I hope you have found lots of ideas here on the QB.